cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Did Global (Data Source) Name Resolution change? The disambiguation operator @ appears to be needed (more often) for Data Sources?

Hello

Please be so kind as to read my full post before responding.
Thank you for your consideration.

I have recently noticed that I required the global disambiguation operator @ in more places than I used to require it.
In particular, it now seems to be required for referencing my Data Sources in places it was not needed before.
Some parts of older code needed me to add this to work in newer PowerApps releases.
My last test with this was done using
Session ID: c3f74df3-269c-4924-8e33-9adbcc515534
PowerApps 3.19061.14

Two examples, where I could previously directly use

'DataSource-PluralName'

without the disambiguation operator @ , but which are currently only working with it, are:

1. Patch inside ForAll
  2. DataSourceInfo

To give you a more complete picture, please be aware that the entity in question also might appear as LookUp in other entities in the same PowerApp(s).
Here are two screenshots of the (working versions) with disambiguation for the Data Sources where earlier versions didn't require disambiguation.
image.pngimage.png

The first case without disambiguation yields an underlined error.
The second case without disambiguation yields an empty result/nothing.

My questions:

1. Has there been a change in the way that Data Source Names are handled?
  2. Is there a documentation/annoucement of this somewhere?
    I only know by trial and error that my two cases apparently required disambiguation.
    It would be good to know all cases where I have to use it now before running into this errors again.

Thank you,
    Sa Wu.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Did Global (Data Source) Name Resolution change? The disambiguation operator @ appears to be needed (more often) for Data Sources?

Do you have a local and remote source with the same/similar name that then requires disambiguation?

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Re: Did Global (Data Source) Name Resolution change? The disambiguation operator @ appears to be needed (more often) for Data Sources?

Hi @iAm_ManCat,

No, there are no tables, collections, variables, or DataSources with the same name.

The only thing coming to mind with really the same (plural name) "PowerFair-Leads" are the new Relational Data Fields in the entities that my custom entity "PowerFair-Lead" contains lookup fields to.

The thing with DataSourceInfo appears to be specific to this one entity in this one App.

For better or worse, I now always use disambiguation for my data sources as this always works.
This is only a minimal inconvenience.

Thanks,
     Sa.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,048)