cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sscarcella
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Did the SQL connector change?

I have over 30 apps that are using an on premises data gateway to connect to SQL server to get to our clients and contacts and projects tables etc.  We have been using them for over a year without any problems but now all my users are prompted to sign up for a Powerapps trial subscription saying we are using premium content.  There is no way we can afford to pay another $7 a month for Powerapps on top of our E3 plan.  Did something change?  Why have my apps worked fine for so long?  Why are we allowed to connect to SQL to create apps but then not allowed to use the apps?  It seems that if this is a premium connector then you shouldnt be able to use it without paying first.  Several of our business processes depend on these Powerapps but now we are at a halt.  Is there any other option for using SQL on premises?

In the admin center it says there are 10000 licenses for Powerapps plan 2 trial.  How long do these 10000 licenses last?  Do they pull from that until the 10000 are used up or is it just one per user? If I use them will I be back to this prompt to start a trial again in 30 days?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
timl
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @sscarcella 

On the 1st Feb, there was a change to the way that the on-premises gateway is licensed. The on-premises gateway used to be included in the E3 license - unfortunately, it isn't any more. There are more details in the link below.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Kind-of-licenses-Microsoft-PowerApps-Plan-2-O...
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/m-p/187283

I'm not sure what the answer is with regards to the trial licenses, but I think it's a good question. @rc might be able to help answer this.

View solution in original post

Hi @sscarcella

Sorry to hear how frustrating this is for you. Before redeveloping your apps, it might be worth considering whether you could use SQL Azure because that's included in the E3 license. A very basic 5DTU instance can start from about $5/month, which would work cheaper than a large redevelopment job.

If sadly you do choose to redevelop in a new platform, perhaps you could post here what you decide to use, as that might be useful to others that find themselves in the same situation. Good luck!

3 REPLIES 3
timl
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @sscarcella 

On the 1st Feb, there was a change to the way that the on-premises gateway is licensed. The on-premises gateway used to be included in the E3 license - unfortunately, it isn't any more. There are more details in the link below.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Kind-of-licenses-Microsoft-PowerApps-Plan-2-O...
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/m-p/187283

I'm not sure what the answer is with regards to the trial licenses, but I think it's a good question. @rc might be able to help answer this.

Its crazy they give you something then later take it away and make you pay for it.  The only reason I migrated away from our on-prem Sharepoint 2010 server is that I was able to recreate all the infopath form apps in Powerapps that were connected to sql server via bcs.  Now I have decomissioned our SharePoint server and now am screwed without any apps for our business processes...  UGH!  We now have to spend over another year developing in a new platform instead of Powerapps.

Hi @sscarcella

Sorry to hear how frustrating this is for you. Before redeveloping your apps, it might be worth considering whether you could use SQL Azure because that's included in the E3 license. A very basic 5DTU instance can start from about $5/month, which would work cheaper than a large redevelopment job.

If sadly you do choose to redevelop in a new platform, perhaps you could post here what you decide to use, as that might be useful to others that find themselves in the same situation. Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

PA Community Call

Power Apps Community Call

Next call is happening on April 21st at 8a PST.

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (17,627)