cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty starting an education app

Hi,

I'm a teacher and have a collection of, say, 5,000 questions. The questions are of different styles. Here are some examples to illustrate the different styles:

• What is the capital of India?
  • Give the definition of past tense.
  • True or false: elephants can be found in over 100 countries.
  • Which part of this picture shows the final stage? A, B, C, or D?

The questions are stored as files on my PC. Some are in .txt files, some are in Word documents, some are in jpeg format. I also have answers for these questions in similar formats. 

I want to assign various 'tags' to these questions. Something like:

• Topic (e.g. "a", "b", "c", "d", ...)
  • Subtopic (e.g. "a1", "a2", "b1", "b2", "b3", ...)
  • Difficulty (e.g. "1", "2", "3", ...)

Each subtopic would contain many questions, and each question would need to be put into exactly one subtopic.

Each question would be assigned one of the difficulty levels.

What I would like to do is:

• Click a button and have generated before me a random selection of five questions from the database.
  • Do the above after selecting a topic.
  • Do the above after selecting a topic, then subtopic.
  • Do any of the above after selecting a maximum difficulty level.
  • Click a button to reveal the answers to those five questions. 

Here is a website that has some of the functionality described above: http://formtimeideas.com/.

I want to be able to add more questions and answers in the future.

Do you think PowerApps is a good solution for this? If so, where would you recommend I start? 

1 REPLY 1
Power Participant
Power Participant

PA is probably a good tool to use for this. One question though - What kind of licenses do you and your students have and does PA work on those? Since you currently cannot share an app outside your organisation, all users of the app must have a license that allows them to use PA.

That being said, if everyone has access to PA and you can make a good data structure, and have a good place to store that structure, i.e. not separate files of different formats your hard drives, it ought be possible to create an app for this. You would probably have to make at least two different apps: one for your administrative chores, to create/edit questions and answers, and one app for the students where they answer the questions. Do you want to store the results too? Then you have to create a table for that as well.

Do get back to me if you have further questions. Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,933)