cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mick_swartz
Advocate III
Advocate III

Display Image from SharePoint List Column - Best Practice?

Hey All,

I'm creating a training application which will be managed by a SharePoint list. On that list, there will be rich text, an image, and a video URL. I've got the rich text and video working fine...the image is...annoying to say the least. What I'm finding is that to be able to display the image, it has to be the text URI format, can't be the basic Image column type from the list.

So, assuming that's the case, the process I'm seeing is as follows:

1. Have business user upload image to SharePoint library.

2. Have a flow create the URI version of the image, and add that to another column in the SharePoint library.

3. Have business user copy that URI to the SharePoint List which contains the content, paste that into multi line text column.

4. Display Image control in PowerApp which reads that URI.

Is that really the best way to do this? I struggle expecting the business user to wait for a flow to kick off to get the URI and have them manually copy and paste that into the list. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just figured out with a flow I can just have them attach the image to the list item, convert to URI, and add the URI into the column with a flow. 

So...still needs a flow which is just one more point of failure, but this way it doesn't require the business user to do anything besides attach the picture to the list item which is what they would expect. Flow is below. Need to limit the attachments to 1 as well, but that can be managed.

mick_swartz_0-1596824976692.png

Thanks for the input!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
natecentric
Frequent Visitor

Could you do a LookUp column in the Sharepoint Library for the image to the Item in the Sharepoint List? Then you have options there for the Image control, like using the image link, thumbnail, etc. No Flows, no copy and pasting. There maybe some delegation constrains when filtering the Library to get the right image in your control and some fun with formulas, but creating that relationship in SP and leveraging Lookup/Filter formulas seems like a better option.

Hmm. That'd still be a reference that the business user would have to create though too I think, right?

I've also read that SharePoint links only work with the online version of PowerApps - this will be a 90% mobile/tablet used app.

Yes, that reference would need to be established. but steps for user would be: 1. Upload image to library, 2. once uploaded to library, then edit that library item and select the referenced SP list item.

As for the option on mobile, I would try to get the thumbnail for the image then. Here is a good reference: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Get-image-from-Sharepoint-list-or-library-an...

There is a mention in that reference of doing this with attachments on a SharePoint List Item, but I have never used that method. This would get rid of the steps mentioned above and simplify it if it works.

Just figured out with a flow I can just have them attach the image to the list item, convert to URI, and add the URI into the column with a flow. 

So...still needs a flow which is just one more point of failure, but this way it doesn't require the business user to do anything besides attach the picture to the list item which is what they would expect. Flow is below. Need to limit the attachments to 1 as well, but that can be managed.

mick_swartz_0-1596824976692.png

Thanks for the input!

View solution in original post

ganeshsanap
Super User
Super User

@mick_swartz You can now also use the Image column type in SharePoint online as Power apps will soon support the image column type from SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists.

Check more information in this article: Power Apps can now display images from SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 

Please click Accept as solution & ‌‌👍 if my answer helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. If the answer was useful in other ways, please consider giving it ‌‌👍

That is awesome news! Thank you for pointing that out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,143)