Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joef
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Display an APP version number

Hi All,

I have been having an issue recently where it seem to take a few minutes for my published app to actually show up properly.

Example:

I customize a form, and I have to refresh my browser many times to get the correct version.  I started putting my own version number on the main screen, but if i forget I am not sure what version is actually published.  I started putting a number on the fields I update to make sure that I am seeing the latest.

My PowerApps APP on my phone takes a few minutes at times to finally refresh and tell me my app has a new update.

A version number would help to make sure I am testing the latest version, instead of trying to figure out why my change did not take effect.

TIA,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
eka24
Super User
Super User

You have to Connect to PowerAppsforMakers in your app:

Follow:

https://sharepains.com/2019/09/27/get-the-version-number-of-your-app-in-powerapps/

https://dysfunctionalconsultant.com/powerapps-canvas-apps-how-to-display-the-version-number-inside-t...

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
eka24
Super User
Super User

You have to Connect to PowerAppsforMakers in your app:

Follow:

https://sharepains.com/2019/09/27/get-the-version-number-of-your-app-in-powerapps/

https://dysfunctionalconsultant.com/powerapps-canvas-apps-how-to-display-the-version-number-inside-t...

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

View solution in original post

Unfortunately, that will not work with the typical Office 365 PowerApps plan, just whatever the modern equivalent is of Plan 2.

I agree with the OP: the need to refresh (or just flat-out wait a minute or two after publishing) is an annoyance.

that links solution did not work.  I was able to find a way to count all the different versions by creating a collection.  Not sure why the link at sharepains did not work.

Can you please explain how you proceeded? What data did you put in the collection?

Thanks

Mike_KaiserPerm
Frequent Visitor

Use code like this to ungroup the information that is contained in these collections:

1. Before coding connect to PowerAppsforMakers

2. Also, get your appNumber from details about your app.  Set(appNumber,GUID("yourappID"))  - yourappID is from the details section of your powerapp environment.  Select the 3 dots by your appname and choose details.  Then you will see this cryptic App ID.

Then code like this in sequence from the On Start:

ClearCollect(colAppVersions,PowerAppsforMakers.GetAppVersions(appNumber));
ClearCollect(colAppVersionsUngrouped,Ungroup(colAppVersions,"value"));
Set(_MyVersions,CountRows(colAppVersionsUngrouped));
Set(_VersionDate,LookUp(Ungroup(colAppVersions,"value"),properties.lifeCycleId="Published").properties.appVersion);

you can put this in an html control somewhere to display date and app version number

"<b><font color=blue>App Last Modified: </font></b>" & LookUp(Ungroup(colAppVersions,"value"),properties.lifeCycleId="Published").properties.appVersion & "<b><font color=blue> Ver: </font></b>" & _MyVersions

Hope that helps

MB

Thanks MB, but unfortunately I was looking for a solution without PowerAppsForMakers. In fact in our organization only developers have a license for this. That would stop the majority of users...

That's too bad.  You might want to create a simple table and reference it in your app with a look up function.  Something like revision #, date, and description.    Make a button to update it as you publish during development.   Not too difficult to setup and simple enough to give you a version number and date to display in the app. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,994)