Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joef
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Display an APP version number

Hi All,

I have been having an issue recently where it seem to take a few minutes for my published app to actually show up properly.

Example:

I customize a form, and I have to refresh my browser many times to get the correct version.  I started putting my own version number on the main screen, but if i forget I am not sure what version is actually published.  I started putting a number on the fields I update to make sure that I am seeing the latest.

My PowerApps APP on my phone takes a few minutes at times to finally refresh and tell me my app has a new update.

A version number would help to make sure I am testing the latest version, instead of trying to figure out why my change did not take effect.

TIA,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
eka24
Super User
Super User

You have to Connect to PowerAppsforMakers in your app:

Follow:

https://sharepains.com/2019/09/27/get-the-version-number-of-your-app-in-powerapps/

https://dysfunctionalconsultant.com/powerapps-canvas-apps-how-to-display-the-version-number-inside-t...

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
eka24
Super User
Super User

You have to Connect to PowerAppsforMakers in your app:

Follow:

https://sharepains.com/2019/09/27/get-the-version-number-of-your-app-in-powerapps/

https://dysfunctionalconsultant.com/powerapps-canvas-apps-how-to-display-the-version-number-inside-t...

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Unfortunately, that will not work with the typical Office 365 PowerApps plan, just whatever the modern equivalent is of Plan 2.

I agree with the OP: the need to refresh (or just flat-out wait a minute or two after publishing) is an annoyance.

that links solution did not work.  I was able to find a way to count all the different versions by creating a collection.  Not sure why the link at sharepains did not work.

Can you please explain how you proceeded? What data did you put in the collection?

Thanks

Mike_KaiserPerm
Frequent Visitor

Use code like this to ungroup the information that is contained in these collections:

1. Before coding connect to PowerAppsforMakers

2. Also, get your appNumber from details about your app.  Set(appNumber,GUID("yourappID"))  - yourappID is from the details section of your powerapp environment.  Select the 3 dots by your appname and choose details.  Then you will see this cryptic App ID.

Then code like this in sequence from the On Start:

ClearCollect(colAppVersions,PowerAppsforMakers.GetAppVersions(appNumber));
ClearCollect(colAppVersionsUngrouped,Ungroup(colAppVersions,"value"));
Set(_MyVersions,CountRows(colAppVersionsUngrouped));
Set(_VersionDate,LookUp(Ungroup(colAppVersions,"value"),properties.lifeCycleId="Published").properties.appVersion);

you can put this in an html control somewhere to display date and app version number

"<b><font color=blue>App Last Modified: </font></b>" & LookUp(Ungroup(colAppVersions,"value"),properties.lifeCycleId="Published").properties.appVersion & "<b><font color=blue> Ver: </font></b>" & _MyVersions

Hope that helps

MB

Thanks MB, but unfortunately I was looking for a solution without PowerAppsForMakers. In fact in our organization only developers have a license for this. That would stop the majority of users...

That's too bad.  You might want to create a simple table and reference it in your app with a look up function.  Something like revision #, date, and description.    Make a button to update it as you publish during development.   Not too difficult to setup and simple enough to give you a version number and date to display in the app. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,112)