cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Display information from another Sharepoint list by ID number

Hello,

I'm a newbe ad PowerApps, so I think I'm overlooking something simple, but I cant't find a solution for my challenge on-line anywhere, so I hope one of you can help me. I have simplified the issue here to the essentials but the problem is as follows.

I have two Sharepoint online list, one containing Contact information and one containing Adres information (see attached screenshots) both have a column ContactID. The lists are maintained by means of an MS Access app that defines the relationships through the ContactID, so there is no lookup field in the lists and I cannot change that without disturbing the MS Access app setup.

What I want to achieve is to create a simple PowerApp that displays the contact information from the Contacts list and the corresponding adres from the adres list in a gallery. Both lists are added through connectors to the PowerApp.

I tried several suggested ways of defining the lookup function, but no results. I think the main problem is that the ID fields are number fields, but I tried converting these in Powerapps to text, but that did not work either.

If I create a drop down list to reference the adres it works, so the connection is OK.

I hope someone can help me with this as I need to make a number of apps based on the MS Access tables (Sharepoint lists) and all have the same kind of relationship defined in MS Access through autonumber ID fields.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Display information from another Sharepoint list by ID number

The format is a bit off.  Assuming the contact is main data source for the gallery then the formula is this format

lookup(datasource, thisitem.ContactID = ContactID).Title

For your environment it should be

lookup(Adressen, thisitem.ContactID = ContactID).Titel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello pStork1,

Thanks very much for your help, it now works as expected, however apparently Microsoft changed the syntax for the lookup function.

In the reply you gave LookUp (Adressen, thisitem.ContactID = ContactID).Titel  there is a comma after the table (list) name and that is also what Microsoft help docs say, but when you build the function the pop up help says that it should be a semicolon.

When I changed that it worked.

Anyway, again thanks for your quick reaction.

Greetings,

Peter

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

If its one address per contact then you should be able to just use a Lookup() on the address data source to get the address based on thisItem.ContactID.  Provide a bit more detail on the data source definitions and I'll try to help further.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Pstork1,

Thanks very much for your quick answer.

Yes, it is one adres per contact, but the contactID is a number in both sharepoint lists.

I have tried the following, but whatever I do it keeps saying that there are errors.

I probably am not using the right syntax, so if you could enlight me here it would be much appreciated.

Hope this is enough explanation for you.

Thanks,

Peter

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-09 om 20.15.01.png

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The format is a bit off.  Assuming the contact is main data source for the gallery then the formula is this format

lookup(datasource, thisitem.ContactID = ContactID).Title

For your environment it should be

lookup(Adressen, thisitem.ContactID = ContactID).Titel

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello pStork1,

Thanks very much for your help, it now works as expected, however apparently Microsoft changed the syntax for the lookup function.

In the reply you gave LookUp (Adressen, thisitem.ContactID = ContactID).Titel  there is a comma after the table (list) name and that is also what Microsoft help docs say, but when you build the function the pop up help says that it should be a semicolon.

When I changed that it worked.

Anyway, again thanks for your quick reaction.

Greetings,

Peter

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I forgot you were in Germany.  Here in the US the seperator is ',' but in europe the seperator is ';'.  they have to do that because of the different uses of a comma in numbers and currency between the US and EU.  Glad you found the fix.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,154)