cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slong
Frequent Visitor

Displaying distinct items from a JSON object array based on one field of the object

Here's a simplified version of a JSON array which I am getting back from a Jira REST endpoint. I store the issues in a PowerApps collection called jiraRawData.

"issues":[
   {
      "id":"1",
      "assignee":null
   },
   {
      "id":"2",
      "assignee":{
         "displayName":"john"
      }
   },
   {
      "id":"3",
         "displayName":"john"
      }
   },
   {
      "id":"4",
         "displayName":"mary"
      }
   }
]

I want to display issues in a Gallery component and I can do that no problem.

However what I would like to do is to display the unique assignee names only so for the input above I would just like to see the following in my gallery

john

mary

• I have tried assigning the Items property of the gallery component to  Distinct(jiraRawData, "assignee") but it doesn't work. I've tried so many things and I'm out of ideas.

• I'm also having issues displaying the assignee in a gallery even when I just supply jiraRawData as the Items property I get the following error  Invalid use of '.'  when using ThisItem.fields.assignee.displayName as the Text attribute.

Any help greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
rubin_boer
Super User
Super User

hi @slong can you perhaps add some screen shots

I created Collection _Jira and found this

rubin_boer_0-1611857074535.png

The the distinct function Distinct(_Jira,assignee)

rubin_boer_1-1611857143981.png

slong
Frequent Visitor

@rubin_boer I've tried what you've suggested above. Still having an issue. Screenshots below as requested. I load my Collection using the following line 

ClearCollect(jiraRawData, JIRACloud.GetIssuesForJQL("project = MYPROJECT AND issuetype in (standardIssueTypes(), subTaskIssueTypes(), Bug, Epic, Spike, Story, Task, Bug-Subtask, Sub-task) AND status in (Blocked,"&Char(34)&"In Progress"&Char(34)&", Open) AND fixVersion = 11.0.0 ORDER BY created DESC").issues);

Collection.jpgDistinct.jpgText.jpg

slong
Frequent Visitor

I think my issue seems to be that I can't do this. How would I get around this seeing as displayName only exists within assignee sometimes. Otherwise assignee is null.

Distinct(jiraRawData, assignee.displayName)

Error.png

ManiLive
Frequent Visitor

You may want to filter the data to get the non-null ones, before using Distinct to get the unique list of displayName values.

Distinct(Filter(Issues, !IsBlank(assignee)), assignee.displayName)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (48,633)