cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phineas
Resolver I
Resolver I

Do Wildcard Searches Work in Power Apps?

I have been given images with the following file name nomenclature LS1234_Larry_Smith_Professor.pdf.

The images can be stored in Power Apps Media or a SP library.

Assuming the first 6 characters of the file name are also in a SP list column called UnqID, is there a way to write a 'wildcard' type filter in a Gallery - through a dropdown - that will return the specific image associated with the content of the dropdown, in this case LS1234; and change the images to match the content of the dropdown when there is a change in the dropdown?

Thank you, 

5 REPLIES 5
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Phineas 

The best search or filter will depend upon how many items there are in your list.  Please indicate how many names there are and how many you expect to be in the list over time. 

Assume 5,000. Each staffer may have several certifications/qualifications, and additional may be add for existing staff or new staffers and their cert/quals added in the future.

@Phineas 

Unfortunately, your searches will have delegation limits so you cannot easily use a Search() function or Filter using the "in" operator.  SharePoint supports using Filter() and StartsWith() and these functions will work regardless of the size of the list. 
To use Search() and Filter() with "in", you will need to create a collection from your data. There are a number of posts here regarding the best way for creating a big collection from your SharePoint data.  I personally have found SharePoint to be too limiting when dealing will lists containing more than 4000 items and recommend that you consider using CDS or SQL instead if you expect your app to grow over time and stay functional.  The main downside is that the latter have an additional cost associated with them but they can handle data sources with millions of items.

Ok, hope springs eternal.

Can you show me how the filter would look using the example file I provided, and where in the properties the filter would go?

@Phineas 

There are probably a number of different ways to handle this.  I would start by modifying the SharePoint file to separate out the UnqID, ProfName, and Title into separate columns.  Then you could filter the list as follows 

Filter( 
        yourlist, StartsWith( 
                              ProfName, SearchInput.Text
                    ) || StartsWith(
                                     Title, SearchInput.Text 
                          ) || StartsWith(
                                       UnqID, SearchInput.Text
                                )

)

This formula would be in the Items property of a gallery or data table.  The Textinput box would be called SearchInput. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (62,555)