cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suelaw1954

Does PowerApps have a different "lookup column threshold" to Lists?

Hi,

I am building an information relational database for my department at work and I've hit the "lookup column threshold" problem in the first list to use a lot of lookups (both Views and PowerApps). I've redesigned the List so that the number of user-generated lookup, person and date columns is 12 and I no longer have trouble viewing all my columns. However I still get the "lookup column threshold" problem in PowerApps.

Is that because of the system generated lookup columns? (Modified and created dates and persons.) If so is it possible to delete them?

Note that if these are creating the problem, then the actual "lookup column threshold" is only 8.

Sue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-jefferni
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @suelaw1954 ,

Do you mean you have encountered the “LookUp column threshold” error when using SharePoint list as data source?

If so, you are right about that 4 system generated lookup columns (Created/by and Modified/By), according to MS documentation, the following column types are deemed to be "lookup columns" ...

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/spses/2013/12/02/sharepoint-20102013-list-view-lookup-threshold-unc...

Notice:

1. What classifies as Lookup columns: Standard lookup columns, single-value managed metadata, multiple-value managed metadata, single-value people and group columns, and multiple-value people and group columns , Workflow Status , Created by , Modified by ( people ) are obviously counted as lookup columns .
  2. Additionally following columns shows on list view also work as lookup columns , Name ( linked to Document) , Link (Edit to edit item) , Name ( linked to Document with edit menu), type ( icon linked to document).

So you could customize up to 8 LookUp columns in SharePoint to avoid the LookUp column threshold error.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-jefferni
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @suelaw1954 ,

Do you mean you have encountered the “LookUp column threshold” error when using SharePoint list as data source?

If so, you are right about that 4 system generated lookup columns (Created/by and Modified/By), according to MS documentation, the following column types are deemed to be "lookup columns" ...

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/spses/2013/12/02/sharepoint-20102013-list-view-lookup-threshold-unc...

Notice:

1. What classifies as Lookup columns: Standard lookup columns, single-value managed metadata, multiple-value managed metadata, single-value people and group columns, and multiple-value people and group columns , Workflow Status , Created by , Modified by ( people ) are obviously counted as lookup columns .
  2. Additionally following columns shows on list view also work as lookup columns , Name ( linked to Document) , Link (Edit to edit item) , Name ( linked to Document with edit menu), type ( icon linked to document).

So you could customize up to 8 LookUp columns in SharePoint to avoid the LookUp column threshold error.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Groups Public Preview

Join us for our User Group Public Preview!

Power Apps User Groups are coming! Make sure you’re among the first to know when user groups go live for public preview.

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (37,126)