cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Does PowerApps record insertion need a SharePoint List edit access?

Hi,

Do I really need to share edit access to all my powerapps users on my SharePoint List?

I am using office365 and SharePoint List. I have developed a simple PowerApps app which insert a record into SharePoint List. When I tried with other users, I don't see they inserted but no error at PowerApps level. Later I found out that they can insert only after having edit access on Sharepoint list. I don't want to give users even to see all records those inserted on SharePoint List. Is there any way to prevent their writable access/full readable access on SharePoint List without Flow?

If only possibility is by using Flow, how can  I use it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Does PowerApps record insertion need a SharePoint List edit access?

@rmpasha ,

Firstly for direct writing, yes any user committing data to SharePoint needs write access (or reading directly also needs at least read access).

For a Flow to run from Power Apps to the data, they would need the same access as a connector on their account needs to be created. If you are writing new records, you could probably have a "temporary" list (they still need access to this) and run "When an item is created" SharePoint trigger and write the record to the other list if you really want to do this. I generally just "hide" the list in SharePoint with a name and site name they could not guess.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@rmpasha ,

Firstly for direct writing, yes any user committing data to SharePoint needs write access (or reading directly also needs at least read access).

For a Flow to run from Power Apps to the data, they would need the same access as a connector on their account needs to be created. If you are writing new records, you could probably have a "temporary" list (they still need access to this) and run "When an item is created" SharePoint trigger and write the record to the other list if you really want to do this. I generally just "hide" the list in SharePoint with a name and site name they could not guess.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @rmpasha ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi WarrenBelz,

I removed all users access from SharePoint list. After that, Instead of direct insert from PowerApps, I created a Flow to insert a record into a SharePoint list. I don't want to create a hidden temporary SharePoint list since it is lot of overhead to do. Your replied partially help for this issue I guess and I am selecting as a answer. Thanks

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have double tested with users and found out that even using flow to insert a record into SP List do need a permission on SP List. That means there is no other way to do that?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @rmpasha ,

This question gets raised frequently on this forum and you will get a variety of workaround suggestions, but ultimately, for a user to write data to a SharePoint list, either directly from SharePoint (SubmitForm, Patch, UpdateIf etc) or from a Flow triggered from the "Power Apps trigger" and writing directly to the list, they need access.

As I mentioned, a "intermediate" list with different permissions can conceivably be used and then a Flow triggered off "When an item is created" (rather than Power Apps) by a user with the right permissions will work, but can take some time (20-40 seconds) to run and getting return values if you need them is even more complex.

Also, you can "hide" the list and it you want to go a step further, stop inheriting site permissions and set them at List level.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @WarrenBelz for your answer,

Let me understand correctly. You mean I need to create a 1st SP list where all users will have Edit access since users filled a power apps form and submit, then it creates a record into SP List from power apps directly (I can use flow instead of direct insertion using collect). Then I will have the copy of 1st SP list structure (lets say 2nd SP list) where I am the only have edit access. Then I will use a Flow that takes recently created item from 1st list and insert into 2nd list where all users have no access. If this is my correct understanding what to do for the 1st list where all users have edit access. I might need to delete I guess.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@rmpasha ,

My approach would be to delete the record from the first list at the end of the flow.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I am thinking to duplicate a List as you said and first one will have all users access but 2nd one will have only owner access. Flow will kick in once new item comes. Here I want to do one thing that once User insert into the first list, I want to change that user permission to ReadOnly on the first list using same flow so that user cannot change for a day. In every mid-night another flow kicks in to give all users access to the 1st list again. Does it possible?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,794)