cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paterson
Frequent Visitor

Download App in PowerApps for Offline usage?

Hello everyone. Just a quick question.

Does PowerApps support in any way a "pre-download" of apps that I want to work with offline so that even if I close PowerApps, I can still access it? I do know that it reloads the app list everytime you go offline, but today it just happened that one app was pre-loaded, so that picked my curiosity.. (We're talking about Android App on mobile, just to be sure.)

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LRVinNC
Super User
Super User

I just did a test on my account.  Connected to the network all my apps were loaded in PowerApps Mobile App.  I shut off both my Wifi and my Cellular so I had no network connection.  I returned to the PowerApps Mobile App and it showed I had NO apps.  I verified I was still connected to the same account.  I then turned the Wifi back on and returned to PowerApps Mobile and the apps appeared again as soon as I refreshed the app.  (I only signed on once when I began the test).  I turned them both off again, and when I went to PowerApps Mobile they were still displayed and I could select on the app, but it immediately showed no internet and when I selected an app was "opening" indefinitely.  I will note that the app I was opening was not set up for offline use.  

So, if you were already connected and the Mobile App was already running, you would see and be able to access the apps already loaded in the list.  If you launched the Mobile App after going offline, it appears the list would be empty it and will not see the app. 

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LRVinNC
Super User
Super User

PowerApps don't run as individual apps, but rather as applications within the PowerApps Mobile App. So, no, you can't "download" the app for offline use per se.  But by setting up the app to  test for an online connection, and using LoadData and SaveData, you can enable an app to function one way when offline (saving data locally) and another when online (storing in long-term data storage).

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.
Paterson
Frequent Visitor

Hello LRVinNC. Thank you for your answer. Although it's not quite what I'm looking for, so I'll try to rephrase it!

Does PowerApps *need* to check for network everytime it launches? Meaning: Can I launch PowerApps while offline before accessing my app? I've read somewhere that you couldn't, but that post was from 2018... And yesterday when I was testing offline usage, my app was already pre-loaded in the app list when I launched PowerApps, so I found it odd...

LRVinNC
Super User
Super User

I just did a test on my account.  Connected to the network all my apps were loaded in PowerApps Mobile App.  I shut off both my Wifi and my Cellular so I had no network connection.  I returned to the PowerApps Mobile App and it showed I had NO apps.  I verified I was still connected to the same account.  I then turned the Wifi back on and returned to PowerApps Mobile and the apps appeared again as soon as I refreshed the app.  (I only signed on once when I began the test).  I turned them both off again, and when I went to PowerApps Mobile they were still displayed and I could select on the app, but it immediately showed no internet and when I selected an app was "opening" indefinitely.  I will note that the app I was opening was not set up for offline use.  

So, if you were already connected and the Mobile App was already running, you would see and be able to access the apps already loaded in the list.  If you launched the Mobile App after going offline, it appears the list would be empty it and will not see the app. 

LRVinNC

------------------

View solution in original post

Paterson
Frequent Visitor

I guess that's it. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,128)