cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JRuss
Level: Powered On

Drop Down Fields Stop Working

I am connecting a canvas PowerApp to a SharePoint list, and randomly all but one of my drop down fields have stopped working.  Some are lookup, some are multi-select, some are both, some are neither.  The one that is still working is the one that I added most recently, a multi-select lookup.  I searched through the forum and the only leads I have found are 1) It's a temporary bug on Microsoft's side; or 2) I'm not leveraging a Collection.  This happened last week and after browsing the forum, I checked the Advanced Settings and found that Explicit Column Selection was already "Off", but I toggled Delayed Load to "Off" and that fixed it until this week when it happened again.  I have three EditScreens and I am using Patch to submit.  Here is an example of the code I have for Items; please note that I am filtering out blank lines that are appearing above the list of values in the drop downs for some reason:

Filter(Choices('Engagement Form'.Engagement_Type), !IsBlank(Value))

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

-Jake

16 REPLIES 16
R3dKap
Level 10

Re: Drop Down Fields Stop Working

Hi @JRuss,

A few questions here...

1. When you say that the dropdown stopped working, do you mean that it is empty ?
  2. On your screens, do you use form controls ? I guess not since you say you're using Patch() function...
  3. What's the data type of your column 'Engagement Form'.Engagement_Type ? Choice or Lookup field ?

Emmanuel

JRuss

Hi Emmanual,

Please find my responses below in RED...

1. When you say that the dropdown stopped working, do you mean that it is empty ? Yes, please see screenshot attached...
  2. On your screens, do you use form controls ? I guess not since you say you're using Patch() function...  I guess I'm not sure what you are referring to specifically when you say "form controls"; again, please refer to the screenshot...
  3. What's the data type of your column 'Engagement Form'.Engagement_Type ? Choice or Lookup field ?  Engagement_Type is non-multiselect drop-down lookup column.

-Jake

R3dKap
Level 10

Jake,

Thanks for the inputs...

What do you have in Items, Default, DisplayFields, SearchFields, OnSelect, OnChange and DefaultSelectedItems properties for your combo box Engagement_Type ?

Can you also post a screenshot of the EngagementTypes (don't know how you called it) list to which points your lookup column Engagement_Type ?

Thanks,

Emmanuel

JRuss

Sure:

Items: Filter(Choices('Engagement Form'.Engagement_Type), !IsBlank(Value))

Default: {Value: "Revenue"}

DisplayFields: ["Value"]

SearchFields: ["Value"]

OnSelect: false

OnChange: false

DefaultSelectedItems: Parent.Default

Screenshots of the lookup column as well as the Engagement Pulldown list attached...

-Jake

R3dKap
Level 10

Ok... On the combo, can you try to blank out the Default property and set its Items property to this:

Choices('Engagement Form'.Engagement_Type)

This is to check if the combo is working with its default values. Or you could also try to insert a new combo and just set its Items property to the formula above.

Also, could you refresh all your datasources ?

Does your combo work in these conditions ? (even if there are blank values among the combo items -> we'll see about that later).

Another question: why your engagement list is called Engagement List in SharePoint (I can see that on your capture) and your data source is called Engagement Form ?

JRuss

Hey Emmanuel,

I changed the Default and Items values as you have requested and yes, the drop down values appear now, along with the blank lines above the values.  So good job there.

I refresh my Data Sources constantly  😉

The entry in the Quick Launch says Engagment List, but the list itself is named Engagement Form.  I will be changing that here shortly.

So if the filter on the Items property is the culprit, how do I get rid of the blank lines and why are they there in the first place?

I was trying to make it convenient for my customer to leverage the "pulldown" list for the lookup columns, so they would have one central place to update values as needed.  Perhaps PowerApps and lookup columns are not all that friendly?

-Jake

R3dKap
Level 10

I just made a test on my side and both these notations work for removing blank entries in the combo:

Filter(Choices('Engagement Form'.Engagement_Type),!IsBlank(Value))
Filter(Choices('Engagement Form'.Engagement_Type),Not(IsBlank(Value)))

Could you test it again and tell me if it works ?

Another thing that is very important: you have a design problem in your current solution. Let me try to explain...

Your lookup column Engagement_Type in your list Engagement Form should not point to the Activity Type column in the EngagementPulldown list. Because when you will have multiple items in Engagement Pulldown with the same Activity Type, then you will have duplicates in your Engagement_Type combo which you will not be able to get rid off.

Instead, you should have a list Activity Type and create a lookup column Activity_Type that would point to it. This column would then be used in both lists Engagement Pulldown and Engagement Form.

Unless you want your Engagement_Type combo to list only the values in the Activity Type column of your list Engagement Pulldown. In which case, you still have to proceed as I described above and as a consequence the formula for the Items property of your combo will be a bit more complex.

What's your need ?

Edwin-Abdalian
Level 10

I experienced this issue yesterday. I opened my app and all my dropdown fields had the error notification sign. I paniced because I had not changed anything in the app nor the Sharepoint list. even a simple dropdown like Choices(Appointments.AppointmentStatus) had error.

I went to all of them one by one, clicked on the error notification which took me to the expression bar, and then clicked somewhere else on the screen. the errors went away one by one.

R3dKap
Level 10

We also had issues with some combo boxes on some of our customized SharePoint form last friday. I guess that the update of the PowerApps core during the night of the 3rd or October could be responsible for this.

On our side, we just republished the form and everything went back on tracks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,883)