Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drop down List Items Limites to 500?

Hi,

I have a Drop down list Items Property to a collection. The collection has more than 600 rows. The drop down list only shows the first 500 items and gives me an message "Maximum number of items reached". What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Drop down List Items Limites to 500?

Why not use a ComboBox control instead of a DropDown and use your collection as the Items.for it.  There is no limit for  a ComboBox.  An alternative would be to add a TextInputBox control and set the Items of your DropDown property to  

Search(collection,TexIinputBox.Text,"yourfield").

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous,

Collections can hold as many records as you want. This issue should be related to other parts of the formula. Maybe the data source is not delegatable, or the functions you used is not delegatable. Would you please share the whole formula so that we could see what is the problem?

About delegations, please have a look at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/delegation-overview

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-monli-msft,

I don't know why I am not able to insert pictures of my screen shots here that I used to be able to. But anyway, my problem is the drop down list won't show more than 500 items, not collection. I did a CountRows on my collection and it shows my collection has 658 records in it. My drop down list has 'Items = MyCollection' and it only shows 500 records in my collection. When I scroll it down to the bottom, I see the last selection of the drop down list is "Maximum number of items reached". Based on my understanding, drop down list cannot handle more than 500 items. Is it correct? How can I work around that problem?

Thanks!

Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous I will let Mona address the product spec stuff but I have a question.

What are you trying to accomplish? I cannot imagine a case where 500 items in a drop-down box is usable for the end user? Can you describe the scenario? I am just curious. 

Thanks

Shane

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your help.

I used to have a Access Web App where there was a lookup field with 658 lines of values. I used a drop down box on a form, first to help users to select a value easier because those values are formatted like "Initial - description". Users only need to look for initials and they are alphabetically ordered. Second, users cannot enter values other than those in the drop down list. When I move to PowerApps, I would like to duplicate that function. 

Thanks,

Beixuan

Hi @Anonymous,

Regarding your missing screen shots in your forum post, could you provide some clarification? Did you attempt to add images by uploading them on the Rich Text editor?

image post error.PNG

Did you run into any errors when uploading the post? I've checked our Spam log and Forum backend and did not see any flags from your account. Any details would be super helpful! 

Feel free to message me directly if you'd like to take this offline. Thank you! Smiley Happy

Best,

Mackenzie

PowerApps Community Manager

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mackenzie_lyng,

I don't see that Photos and Video buttons on my Rich Text editor. But now I can add attachments that I didn't see that option either in my previous post. Same thing for Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. 

Beixuan

Super User
Super User

Why not use a ComboBox control instead of a DropDown and use your collection as the Items.for it.  There is no limit for  a ComboBox.  An alternative would be to add a TextInputBox control and set the Items of your DropDown property to  

Search(collection,TexIinputBox.Text,"yourfield").

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Drrickryp

I tried and it works with ComboBox. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Shane,

I'm having a similar problem in my app.
That´s the actual cenario:
My app is used by a group of train drivers's supervisors to evalute them (about 400 names).
The first screen shows drivers that could be evaluated by logged in supervisor. When a driver is selected, app navigates to the next screen that shows a questionary. The supervisor must answer all the questions and save it. Next, he is sent back to the first sceen. The driver´s list is shown again, but now, already evaluated driver won´t appear at list.

User problem: Sometimes, supervisors just know who will be evaluated at the end of evaluation. So, they asked for an app change. They want to select the driver at the end of the process.

To solve it, I´ve used a dropdown, that I filled with train drivers names that came from a collect, in the beginnig of the form. I´ve used filters to exclude already evaluated drivers.

My problem is that dropdown works at browser, but at PowerApps app it appears empty.

I just don´t have any idea of what the hell could be happening.

Could you help me?

Sorry about my english, ok? Tks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,240)