Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Erec
Level: Powered On

Drop down not working in Web Player or on Mobile device

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help?

I've noticed over the past week or so that when i create new apps the drop downs are not populating in the Web Player but it works fine in the design studio. I have tried it on various devices andriod, ios and different web browsers all yeild the same results.

Background:

Azure SQL Server

Populating the dropdown via a collection, the collection is populated on Start of the application. I have also tried OnVisible both producing the same results.

I'm not doing anything different to what I have done in previous applications which work fine. The problem does not happen on every app created, thus making it hard to troubleshoot. Any pointers on what to check to  try and resolve the problem would be appreciated.

There are no errors occuring when running the application(s) in the web player or mobile devices, just an empty dropdown column.

I have also tried adding a new dropdown and publishing, on occassion the drop down works and then stops again when published again.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?

If any further information is needed, do let me know and I will post.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
James_Hellfeier

Re: Drop down not working in Web Player or on Mobile device

I am also having this issue. My Process :

On app start > ClearCollect( directory , 'SQL dbo' )

Dropdown > Allowed Values = directory

This seems to have worked fine with other apps in the past no problem, but now I am running into the same issue that you are. The dropdown items will populate in the web developer, however, in the web player or on mobile I get fields populated with blank values.

Will try and troubleshoot this and get back to you if I find any solutions.

Edit : It seems to be an issue with the ClearCollect() calling of the directory. I've had this issue before with Collections from a SQL DB not populating properly, you can find the solution in this thread

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Creating-Apps/Clearcollect-Not-Retrieving-All-Data/m-p/166681#M4...

Tldr; turn off the Advanced setting "Explicit Column Selection" .... that should fix your problem!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
keathley

I saw something similar.  I took a functioning app and did a SaveAs to a new name.  The newly saved app has issues rendering values in the drop downs (the original does not).  I am populating the dropdown via filter on a SharePoint list (cascaded values from another drop down).  The drop downs actually have values in them, but they are displaying blanks (meaning I can select 1 of 6 "empty" rows from the dropdown).

I have also noticed other dropdowns where the selections get "disconnected" from the original dropdown.  Meaning the display of the dropdown list when opened may be 3-4 fields below the actual drop down field.

James_Hellfeier

I am also having this issue. My Process :

On app start > ClearCollect( directory , 'SQL dbo' )

Dropdown > Allowed Values = directory

This seems to have worked fine with other apps in the past no problem, but now I am running into the same issue that you are. The dropdown items will populate in the web developer, however, in the web player or on mobile I get fields populated with blank values.

Will try and troubleshoot this and get back to you if I find any solutions.

Edit : It seems to be an issue with the ClearCollect() calling of the directory. I've had this issue before with Collections from a SQL DB not populating properly, you can find the solution in this thread

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Creating-Apps/Clearcollect-Not-Retrieving-All-Data/m-p/166681#M4...

Tldr; turn off the Advanced setting "Explicit Column Selection" .... that should fix your problem!

View solution in original post

TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

Thanks for your help with this issue, @James_Hellfeier!

@TopShelf-MSFT

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,454)