cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonyzhang0510 Helper I
Helper I

Re: Drop down

I just deleted the sharepoint column and created a new one, and the problem was fixed. Thanks again!

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

@tonyzhang0510 

The only thing I saw different in your colkumn definition was the "Can add values manually".  I changed mine to the same, but still no issue.

So, let's try another test to narrow down the source of the issue.

Put a button on your screen and set the OnSelect property to the following:

ClearCollect(test, Choices(Form.Company))

Then set the text property of the button to the following:

CountRows(test)

Alt-click the button, or run the app and click it.  It should show 6 in the button text.

See what yours says.

If it shows 6, then try changing the Items property of your DropDown to test and see what it shows in the dropdown list.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@tonyzhang0510 

That's another way to go about it  😉

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
tonyzhang0510 Helper I
Helper I

Unfortunately the issue came back.

tonyzhang0510 Helper I
Helper I

It shows 12.

Super User
Super User

@tonyzhang0510 

I believe your problem is not actually related to the column definition but actually with something in your App.

My guess is that, you deleted the column, then everything was good in PowerApps dropdown.  So, you proceeded forward and at some point you submitted, updated, or patched a record in your list from PowerApps.

Since your column is defined to allow write-in values beyond the ones in the list, your submit/patch/update ended up writing 6 of the same values except with the issue on the &

So, I would focus on any patch/update statements you have.  If you are using a Form, then I would look at any Update properties to see where the issue is coming from.

tonyzhang0510 Helper I
Helper I

I think it could be my update function.

If(Not IsBlank(DataCardValue10.Selected), DataCardValue10.Selected,{Value: DataCardValue10.SearchText, '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"})

I am using it because I need to use a fill in option for my drop down.

Super User
Super User

@tonyzhang0510 

Bingo!  There is the source of your problem! 

However...this is actually not your problem (i.e. you didn't cause this with your formulas).

It appears that the ampersand is the culprit.  Your formula works perfectly fine if the choices are changed to FDM K and L - Armenia, etc.

I've tried this same concept you have in a test and it is doing the exact same with & characters.  I've attempted a couple of workarounds for it - none of them are clean or accurate.

So, this seems to be an issue with choice columns and html characters.  Only seems to happen with &'s - I've tried other special characters with no problem. 

I believe you options are this:

1) Report this as a bug and wait for a long time to get it corrected

2) Change your choices to "FCM K and L" and get rid of the ampersand

The only thing you will need to account for is if someone writes in an &.  I would use a substitute formula to change them to "and" instead.

At least I am glad we got to the point of it being reproducible for me.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

@tonyzhang0510 

Actually found a reference to this in this message back from 2017

@KeremY mentioned that it was fixed in May of 2017...apparently not.

@TopShelf-MSFT 

tonyzhang0510 Helper I
Helper I

Got it! Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Power Platform 2020 release wave 1 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 1 plan

Features releasing from April 2020 through September 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,531)