cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dropdown Displayed Value vs Stored Value

We've previously built some forms in Visual Studio that had drops fed from a SQL source. One the Visual Studio forms, you have the option of what is displayed in the list vs what is stored.

Example

Diplayed value is column Driver_List: "(DriverID) Lastname, Firstname"

Stored Value is column Driver_ID: "DriverID"

PowerApps Dropdown.PNG

Is there a way to do this in PowerApps??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CarlosFigueira
Power Apps
Power Apps

Yes, this is possible. The Items property of the dropdown control can be a table (list) of items (records) that contain an arbitrary number of properties. And you can choose which of them is displayed to the user in the Advanced pane when you select the control. For example, in the example below, the Items property of a dropdown control is set to a table with two columns, Name and ID; here we chose the Name to be displayed:

ForumPost001.PNG

When you're ready to use the selected data from the dropdown, you can choose the column that you want:

Dropdown1.Selected.ID

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CarlosFigueira
Power Apps
Power Apps

Yes, this is possible. The Items property of the dropdown control can be a table (list) of items (records) that contain an arbitrary number of properties. And you can choose which of them is displayed to the user in the Advanced pane when you select the control. For example, in the example below, the Items property of a dropdown control is set to a table with two columns, Name and ID; here we chose the Name to be displayed:

ForumPost001.PNG

When you're ready to use the selected data from the dropdown, you can choose the column that you want:

Dropdown1.Selected.ID

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CarlosFigueira, It looks like from your examply I'd have to build that table in PowerApps. I already have this data in a SQL table on the backend. Is there a way to do this with the SQL db?

This works with data from data sources (such as a SQL table) as well. You'd bind to the Items property of the dropdown the table itself.

Dropdown1.Items: TableThatHasPossibleOptions

You can adjust which value that is displayed on the advanced pane. The Selected property of the dropdown control contains the whole record that is selected, not just the property that is displayed, so when you want to use the selection, you can take the property (column) that you want.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CarlosFigueira,

Apologies, I'm new to PowerApps and still trying to figure stuff out. On the drop down itself I set put my filter command with a value of the List field I had, which caused my drop down to display the way I wanted.

BumpTest1.PNG

Then on the datacard as a whole, I updated the Update field as you suggested.

BumpTest2.PNG

When I test it, its working exactly the way I want it. Thanks for your help!

bstrabold

I have the same problem. I am making a filter in a gallery based on the value of a dropdown.

The dropdown shows values from a Sharepoint List (named 'Type') , exactly the column 'name'. 

The gallery shows data from another  Sharepoint List (named 'Menu'). 

I need to filter the gallery based on the dropdown value, not the displayed one (named),  it has to be the id of the selected ítem.

I do everything you say and it doesnt work..

Pls help. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,882)