cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TommySandtorv
Frequent Visitor

Dropdown - SQL vs SharePoint list

On a project I'm working on we're designing a PowerApp for adding metadata to documents in a document library.

In todays solution some the documents has a single line of text which is sett to the selected name from a combobox which is connected to a SQL database. This works fine and we have access to all of the items (by the looks of it) even though the list exceeds 2000+ items. However, this SQL database is populated from a SharePoint list from an old design/use case. And we were thinking about dropping the SQL database as a mid-step.

My question is: would it still be possible to get all the items or would it cause a delegation problem?

4 REPLIES 4
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TommySandtorv ,

Would you like to populate the Items of the Combo box directly from a SP list?

Since there is no limit of items amount in Combo box and SharePoint list is delegable, as long as functions in Items of the Combo box are delegable, there would not be the delegation issue.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Hello @v-jefferni ,

I want the combo box to be populated directly from the SP list.
However, when I've tried to use the list directly ie item = nameofSPlist, it gives a warning.
If I try to use Show Columns and only use the text field I'm interested in I get no warning, but only the limit of the data row limit of the app. 

The purpose of this is to fill a text field in the document library to the title of the selected item from the combo box.

Hi @TommySandtorv ,

Are you referring to the warning like in below screenshot?

153.png

If so, you could set SPListName.TextColumnName as Items of the Combo box, notice that Title column is non-delegable as well. If you want to use title field in the Combo box then you could use Name column instead.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Yes @v-jefferni,
I was referring to that warning. Using SPList.Name as items of the combobox did remove the warning. But again as of my testing, the amount of items in the dropdown is limited by the data row limit of the application, and the list which I'm interested in using contains 2702 elements. Thus, only showing a maximum of 2000 of them, which causes my problem.

Have noticed that the same problem occurred using SQL as connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,073)