cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Dropdown Text Field OR just Text Field in the Form

Hi, I wanted to achieve this in one of our forms. Basically the form should be a text input, but when the user already made inputs before, those records should be visible in a dropdown:

001 - Default location.png

001 - Default location copy.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @hexarthrius ,

Do you want to type some text to act as custom value within the Dropdown control?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I afraid that the Dropdown control could not achieve your needs. Currently, within PowerApps app, you could not type some search text as custom value within the Dropdown control.

As an fixed solution, I think the ComboBox control could achieve your needs. You could consider add a ComboBox control inside the data card to replace the Dropdown control or original Text Input box. Then set the Items property to following:

Distinct(YourDataSource, Location)

Set the SelectMultiple property of the ComboBox to following:

false

Set the IsSearchable property of the ComboBox to following:

true

Set the Update property of the data card which contains this ComboBox to following:

If(
   !IsBlank(ComboBox1.SearchText),
   ComboBox1.SearchText,
   ComboBox1.Selected.Result
)

Please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

What you can do is to insert a custom datacard with a dropdown or just a dropdown on your form. Then in the ITEMS of the dropdown put;

Datasource.Location

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Hi @eka24,

Thanks for replying quickly! For the custom dropdown, will I be able to enter my own values even without selecting the dropdown value? Like a free text?

Hi @hexarthrius ,

Do you want to type some text to act as custom value within the Dropdown control?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I afraid that the Dropdown control could not achieve your needs. Currently, within PowerApps app, you could not type some search text as custom value within the Dropdown control.

As an fixed solution, I think the ComboBox control could achieve your needs. You could consider add a ComboBox control inside the data card to replace the Dropdown control or original Text Input box. Then set the Items property to following:

Distinct(YourDataSource, Location)

Set the SelectMultiple property of the ComboBox to following:

false

Set the IsSearchable property of the ComboBox to following:

true

Set the Update property of the data card which contains this ComboBox to following:

If(
   !IsBlank(ComboBox1.SearchText),
   ComboBox1.SearchText,
   ComboBox1.Selected.Result
)

Please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (31,612)