cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Dropdown default value - set to blank value?

I have an edit screen with two dropdowns controls.  The first dropdown is Client and the sceond is ClientProject.  After choosing the client, the user can seleect the specific project for the client.  The ClientProject dropdown is filtering it's list values based on the value of the Client dropdown.

When adding a new record, though, after I select a client, the Client Project dropdown always gets set to the first value on the list.  I would preer that it would be left blank.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Dave

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted

If you see the reply from @Alex_Boom above, they have added a feature that fixes this for dropdowns. ComboBox appears to not have this feature but leaving Default blank and DefaultSelectedItems as [] has the same effect.

FYI though, what you are attempting to do is actually what I ended up doing before the feature, via ClearCollect.

Example:

Screen.OnVisible = ClearCollect(FilteredWithBlanks,{ITEM:""},Filter([Table], ITEM = VAR).ITEM)
Dropdown.Items = FilteredWithBlanks
Dropdown.Default = ""
Highlighted

No, it is definitely a bad solution. Because the user can submit/patch that default blank value (or default "Select an Option" value for example) into the database. 
You can use a combobox instead, if you use the onchange attribute carefully 🙂

José

Highlighted

Hey @Shanescows ! I've been watching your videos on YouTube. It helped me a lot and still helps me as of now!

Thank you for the continuous help to the community.

Cheers!

Highlighted

The old property "AllowUnsetValue" has been renamed to "AllowEmptySelection"

On Dropdown-Cards you can set this "AllowEmptySelection" property to value "true" and the Default-Property to "" then you will have a blank default value in the Dropdowns. For all FormModes, of course

It makes sense to set this Default-Blank only to FormMode.New otherwise each edit will update with blanks:

If(SharePointForm1.Mode=FormMode.New, "", Parent.Default)

Not available for Combo Boxes

Highlighted

Has anyone experienced the issue that after AllowingEmptySelection in a dropdown - inspite of setting Defaults for New Form to be "" and the rest modes to Parent.Default,  the field still comes out as empty when in view or edit mode???  😕

Highlighted

@loureyes Hey Lou!

I know it's been a few weeks late, but were you able to solve your issue? Because I'm thinking this might be because there might be something wrong on your "Update" field for the control.

Highlighted

Hey @fpc-kdrosario !

thanks for the follow-up.  I will need to go back to that and check.  I ended up just leaving it without the empty field just for the testing phase.  Once I get back to it with the feedback from folks I'll double check the 'Update" field and report back.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Lou

Highlighted

Se não puder criar um item em sua lista em branco, basta preencher com valor "true" a opção AllowEmptySelection, do seu dropbox, em seguida preencher a opção Default do seu dropbox com o seguinte conteúdo "".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,195)