cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Dropdown for People

I have a list: Budgetary Departments.  One column in that list is "Approvers", which is type Person or Group.  It is populated with Users who can approve appropriation changes for specific Departments.

Another list has Funds (Small Equipment, Travel, etc.) for which changes can be requested.

My other/main list: Appropriation Changes, has a column name ApproverSelection, with type Person or Group.

In the Power Apps form for Appropriation Changes, I have Drop Downs populated with Departments and Funds available for changes.  I'm trying to populate a Drop Down with the Departments Approvers, so that the requestors can select one of the people on that list and populate the ApproverSelection.  I then use Flows to email those users with an Approval.

Having no luck getting a Drop Down to populate with type Person or Group.  I've considered a People Picker, but not sure how to filter it based on the Approvers.  Sorry if I'm not providing enough info, but I appreciate any help/insights anyone would give.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@KevinDSmith 

Person or Group field in SharePoint list always shows you as combo box, where you can search people and select them.

Your requirement can be addressed in multiple ways:

Approach #1: 

On your app, hide Approvers control which connected to your Budgetary Departments SharePoint list.

Create a separate SharePoint list "DeptApprovers" and store the Department, Approver Name, Approver Email column.

Now, you can place a drop down  for Approver in the App.

One selecting a department, the Approvers drop down can list out only the mapped user display names.

On selecting an approver name, you can use the email field value from "DeptApprovers" list and store the value in "Approvers" field related to Budgetary Departments SP list.

In the View form of the App, you can just show Approvers field.

In the edit form, you may need to perform similar steps for New form.

Approach #2: Leave the Approvers field on the app as a free people picker on the App. Next to the people picker, you can place an icon. On clicking this icon, you can show allowed Approvers on a label below the control for the selected department and on Submit form, you need to place a validation to make sure the user selected a valid approver.  

Approach #3: Create a SharePoint Group with all the Approvers. Set the Approvers field in the SP list to allow only from this group from its Field settings. This approach will restrict the user selection of specific group.

I hope this will help you.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@KevinDSmith 

Person or Group field in SharePoint list always shows you as combo box, where you can search people and select them.

Your requirement can be addressed in multiple ways:

Approach #1: 

On your app, hide Approvers control which connected to your Budgetary Departments SharePoint list.

Create a separate SharePoint list "DeptApprovers" and store the Department, Approver Name, Approver Email column.

Now, you can place a drop down  for Approver in the App.

One selecting a department, the Approvers drop down can list out only the mapped user display names.

On selecting an approver name, you can use the email field value from "DeptApprovers" list and store the value in "Approvers" field related to Budgetary Departments SP list.

In the View form of the App, you can just show Approvers field.

In the edit form, you may need to perform similar steps for New form.

Approach #2: Leave the Approvers field on the app as a free people picker on the App. Next to the people picker, you can place an icon. On clicking this icon, you can show allowed Approvers on a label below the control for the selected department and on Submit form, you need to place a validation to make sure the user selected a valid approver.  

Approach #3: Create a SharePoint Group with all the Approvers. Set the Approvers field in the SP list to allow only from this group from its Field settings. This approach will restrict the user selection of specific group.

I hope this will help you.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,889)