cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Dropdown like InfoPath

One of the features of the InfoPath list dropdown control was the ability to set what column data the user would see while the value was a different column.

Is it possible to do something like that in Power Apps.

infopathlistcontrol.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It was just a question.   There are other ways to access the value of the item using the controls overload properties.   Right now I am not even sure why I asked that.  Must have been having a day.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi,

After the field there should be a "." then will give you the choices in code assist

If you want you can send me a note and I can get on message with you and try to help you.

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JR-BejeweledOne ,

Do you want to make a drop down display a column that data comes from another data source?

Could you tell me:

1)the relationship between current list and the new list?

2)the field's data type that you want to display? does it com from another data source?

I need you to describe more clearly about the data that you want in the drop down. 

Usually, if you want the drop down to display one field that does not exist in the original data source, you could use AddColumns function to reshape the data source(will not update data source).

For example:

set the drop down's Items:

AddColumns(listname,"newfield",formula about new field)

Then you will get a new field that value comes from the formula that you write, you could write the formula about another data source.

Then set the drop down's Value to that new field. The drop down will display that new field.

I suggest you know more about AddColumns function:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-table-shaping

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No, all the data comes from the same data source.   It's just nice way to show the user of the form a 'friendly' choice while using a different column as the actual 'value'.

You can do it if you are creating a collection to be used for a dropdown in the app by doing this:

Example:

ClearCollect(RequestType, {DisplayName: "Access to Additional Sites", ActualValue: "access"}, {DisplayName: "Replacement Badge", Actual Value: "replacement"})

I was hoping to be able to do something similar using a SharePoint list as the data source.

Hi @JR-BejeweledOne ,

If you just want to use a sharepoint list as a drop down's data source, thing is easy.

You just need to firstly create connection with your sharepoint list.

Then set the drop down's Items to this sharepoint list.

Choose the field that you want to display as the drop down's Value.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It was just a question.   There are other ways to access the value of the item using the controls overload properties.   Right now I am not even sure why I asked that.  Must have been having a day.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (13,021)