cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Patron
Post Patron

Dropdown list needs filtering

Hi there

I have a list of schools and I wish to select one on a student form.  This is on a customized form in powerapps.  What filter methods will work if I wish to start typing the school name in search box first?  I have tried this without success.

Filter(SCHOOLS, StartsWith(Title,SchoolSearchBox.Text, "Title"))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @StuCundy ,

Firstly make the Default of your Search Text box "" (two quotes).

Other than that you were pretty close (I assume this is a gallery) for the Items property

Filter(
   SCHOOLS,
   StartsWith(
      Title,
      SchoolSearchBox.Text
   )
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @StuCundy ,

Firstly make the Default of your Search Text box "" (two quotes).

Other than that you were pretty close (I assume this is a gallery) for the Items property

Filter(
   SCHOOLS,
   StartsWith(
      Title,
      SchoolSearchBox.Text
   )
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Super User III
Super User III

One approach is to use a combobox, that allows you to search. So on the Items of the Combobox put the Datasource: SCHOOLS.Title

If you want to filter a Gallery that is linked to the Dropdown or Combobox, you try:

Filter(Schools,Title=Combobox1.Selected.Title)

If you want whatever you select to Appear on a form, then:
On the Form Item put: Gallery1.Selected

Then on the Gallery1 put: Schools

So whatever you select in the Gallery appears on the form

A screenshot will help it it still does not work

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Hi @WarrenBelz and @eka24 

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will try them all.  This dropdown is in a customized form direct from a Sharepoint list.  In powerapps but not an App.  does that change things?

Hi @StuCundy ,

I am assuming you are going to put a gallery on this from anther list?

If so - it does not matter it is a SharePoint generated form

hi @WarrenBelz 

no plan to put in a gallery.... i just replaced the input with a dropdown and took the title of the other list as a parent relationship.  Will I create issues by doing this?

OK @StuCundy ,

I seem to have the wrong track here - are you simply wanting to see the search items in the combo box when the user starts typing? Simply turn on "Allow Searching" in the settings. You will need a combo box for this if you currently have a drop-down.

ComboSearching.png

@WarrenBelz 

Because there are so many schools I only get some of the list in the dropdown.  A school starting with T doesn't appear, I guess to do the fact that powerapps only gets the first 500 items.  So I thought if I have a way to set the letter to start the search then I will be able to select my target.

If there are repetitions in the school names, you could use distinct:
Distinct(Schools,Title)

This will ensure one school at a time.

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Thanks @StuCundy ,

Go into your App Settings > Advanced Settings and increase the limit to 2000. It should pick up to this limit.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (90,684)