Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StuCundy
Post Patron
Post Patron

Dropdown list needs filtering

Hi there

I have a list of schools and I wish to select one on a student form.  This is on a customized form in powerapps.  What filter methods will work if I wish to start typing the school name in search box first?  I have tried this without success.

Filter(SCHOOLS, StartsWith(Title,SchoolSearchBox.Text, "Title"))

26 REPLIES 26

@eka24 

no repeating names but i could filter by type, with a dropdown i guess. i.e. secondary schools

@WarrenBelz 

i do have more than 2000 records so definitely need to filter in some form.

@StuCundy 

You have now hit the roadblock. Search statements in whatever form are simply not Delegable. If you can filter the choices in some other way to get under this number, then it will work, but otherwise, simply not possible in a Combo Box.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

In that Case you could have Two comboboxes to do a cascading dropdown based on the type to reduce the list based on secondary or another type.

So in the First Combo, when you pick secondary, only secondary school will show in the second combo.

Check this video:
https://youtu.be/URe94EYCSz8?t=6

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

@StuCundy ,

Pretty much what @eka24 said

I can get the schooltypes using:  Distinct(SCHOOLS,SchoolType.Value). but when i enter the following in the 2nd dropdown I get an error Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.10.24 PM.png

Try:
Filter(SCHOOLS,SchoolType in Dropdown1.Selected.Result)

Is SchoolType a Choice column in your sharepoint?

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

@eka24 

Yes
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.22.35 PM.png

What was the result of the formula I gave

------------

@eka24 

I managed to get this to work... Filter(SCHOOLS,SchoolType.Value=SchoolTypeDD.Selected.Result)

However when I edit the form the SchoolType dropbox defaults to the first entry in the values available and changes my school selection.  Is there a way to disregard the SchoolType once school has been selected?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (39,702)