cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Patron
Post Patron

Dropdown list needs filtering

Hi there

I have a list of schools and I wish to select one on a student form.  This is on a customized form in powerapps.  What filter methods will work if I wish to start typing the school name in search box first?  I have tried this without success.

Filter(SCHOOLS, StartsWith(Title,SchoolSearchBox.Text, "Title"))

26 REPLIES 26

You can set the AllowEmptySelection to true

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

@eka24 

I did try to set AllowEmpltySelection : true, however I need it to keep the selection otherwise it drops the School selection.  I think maybe my best option is to have a StartsWith option in search box.  If i type an S will it search for all titles starting with S throughout the sharepoint list or just in the first 500 or 2000 if I select that.

Thanks you @eka24 and @WarrenBelz 

With your help I managed to get the best solution for my senario.  In the end I added a searchbox within the card.  If the school selection does appear I can choose to search by starting letters.

Filter(SCHOOLS, StartsWith(
      Title,
      SchoolSearchBox.Text
   )
)

Hi @eka24 

I am revisiting this as it was not giving me what I wanted and so I have headed down the ComboBox and Dropdown combination to get my result.  I think I have it but still need a little help if you don't mind.

So I have a choice column I am passing through a dropbox.  I see I cannot use a choice field as a primary or search field in the combo box so I set the screen OnVisible function to 

ClearCollect(ColHostOwner, {Result: "Any"});
Collect(ColHostOwner, Distinct(HOSTFAMILIES,Owner.Value))

owner being the divisions of host to make the smaller groups.

I then filter the ComboBox with

Filter(HOSTFAMILIES, Owner.Value = Dropdown3.Selected.Result)

which seems to work

Can you help me with the default on the dropdown box to retain the dropdown result... or does it not matter?

Retaining it in your situation may not be necessary. But if you want to retain the create a variable Onvisible of your screen:

Set(DroSelect,Dropdown3.Selected.Result)

Then use DropSelect on the Default of the dropdown or anywhere you want to use it.

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Thanks @eka24 

I don't think I need to keep the dropdown values as I see the combobox value holds after selection.  You've bee a great help.

Super User III
Super User III

I guess once you have mark as a solution already, starting a new post will be better.

------------

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (46,941)