cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckserra
Helper I
Helper I

Dropdown not pulling in new data

Good afternoon!  I am using a dropdown that is working correctly until I add additional rows to my list for a new entry.  If I add a new entry on an existing name, it will add the entry and I can see it in my gallery.  However if I add a new name, it will not show up.  I am pulling the list of names from the list where I am adding form responses to.  The ~~'TSG Responses',GameName~~ is populated from another form on my app that builds this list.

~~Sort(Distinct('TSG Responses',GameName),Result)~~

Thanks for any help!

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm not able to see your app, so I am not sure which dropdown you're referring to now. In your first post, you wrote that a dropdown was not working -- is that the one you editing? That would make the most sense from what little I know about your app.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Is TSG Responses being updated by your app, or does it stay static? If it is being updated regularly, consider putting its Items into a collection and regenerate that collection after you've submitted a new record to TSG Responses, perhaps in the OnSuccess of its form. The dropdown should refer to the collection, which will then reflect the new records that may be available.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi Bryan.  Thank you for the quick response.  I am pretty new to Powerapps, and this is my first app.  There is another form in the same app that adds a row for each submission to the TSG Responses list.  Im not sure what a collection is but I will research that and see if that fits our needs.  Thanks again!

BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Here are the basic steps:

In the OnSuccess property of the form that updates TSG Responses, put:

ClearCollect(colDropDown,
   // put the code here that is currently in your dropdown's items
);

In the Items property of the dropdown put:

colDropDown.value
// you may have to swap .value for .result depending on what's in the collection

Bryan

Thank you again!  Getting closer.  I am able to get it to almost work 100%, however when I paste in the colDropDown into the drop down it shows all the items that are able to be selected on the form that updates the TSG responses.  To explain a little more, I have two forms and two data sources.  TSG List has a drop down of 500 items, as well as some open text fields, so you can select a drop down item and than enter some information about it in multiple fields.  That info is stored in TSG responses, and if you want to see the responses the dropdown on TSG responses only shows the list of items that has a response, not the entire list from TSG List. Sorry if I was confusing.

@ckserra wrote:

Thank you again!  Getting closer.  I am able to get it to almost work 100%, however when I paste in the colDropDown into the drop down it shows all the items that are able to be selected on the form that updates the TSG responses.  To explain a little more, I have two forms and two data sources.  TSG List has a drop down of 500 items, as well as some open text fields, so you can select a drop down item and than enter some information about it in multiple fields.  That info is stored in TSG responses, and if you want to see the responses the dropdown on TSG responses only shows the list of items that has a response, not the entire list from TSG List. Sorry if I was confusing.

OK, this indicates the code in the ClearCollect() function is not properly filtered down to the unique responses. You had earlier posted a snip of text with a Sort() and Distinct() in it - did you put that code in with the ClearCollect()?

Yessir.  On the second part of your instructions you state to 

colDropDown.value
// you may have to swap .value for .result depending on what's in the collection

Is that on the dropdown in the form where I made the changes or the dropdown that should be showing the smaller list of items?  If its in the forms dropdown, there is already something in the items area 

ShowColumns('TSG Game List-1', "Title","Vendor"). Here is a screen shot of the OnSubmit as well, I have tried it before and after the Navigate

I'm not able to see your app, so I am not sure which dropdown you're referring to now. In your first post, you wrote that a dropdown was not working -- is that the one you editing? That would make the most sense from what little I know about your app.

View solution in original post

Good point, so I started inserting your instructions again from scratch and now I am back to it working as it was supposed to, using the code you posted, however it is still not allowing me to see new posts.  I am still able to add additional records to existing records, but I cannot see any new items posted if they were posted for the first time.

Thank you again for your help and patience!

Chris

Hi Bryan.  So I(Google/YouTube) figured out what the issue was.  The data source has about 600 rows we are pulling in, and the settings had it at 500, so when I increased to 2000 it pulled in the data immediately.  Thank you so much for your help with this, I will continue to use the code you provided and will get with our Admin about seeing what options are when we surpass the 2000 limit.  

Thanks again!

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,940)