Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schwibach
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dropdowns trouble: Keep Iphone from zooming in and making dropdowns smaller

Hello,

I have some trouble with a powerapp on the IPhone SE.

Whenever I click the dropdown menu, the it zooms into the menu and shows the options way too big.

I read that you'd have to make the text bigger.

But:

1. The text size is already at 21 (Open Sans)

2. I don't want the text to be bigger because it would take up too much screen real estate

3. I don't know if I could change the size of the text just for the selection process and then have it smaller again.

In any case the zooming in really needs to stop and I'm at a loss.

Thanks you guys!

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@schwibach 

The zoom issue on the iPhone for comboboxes has been a long know issue.

In general, don't use them if you plan to deploy to iPhones!  

There are some conceptual workarounds involving font sizes, but they are usually impractical and don't always work as expected.

When we are targeting iPhones, we'll usually combine textinput and a gallery to provide a "look-alike" version of the combobox.  It is not all that great, and in most cases we just simply redirect to another screen with the combobox and then return back.  Most all hacks.

So, I know this doesn't give you a solution, but hopefully sheds some light on the problem for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Thanks!

Do you maybe have an example or a screenshot of what this would look like?

I have three options that need to be selectable on click.

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@schwibach 

Well, the concept of going to another screen is pretty straightforward.  The idea is that you have a return to previous screen icon in the top left and then your combobox.  Then if the combobox "zooms", the user can still make the selection and then when done, the screen is zoomed and the icon is still the primary icon.  It's ugly in general, because it looks like your app is broken.

Incidentally, you are aware that the user can "pinch" their screen back to normal after it has zoomed?  And actually this is the distinction.  The rendering of PowerApps is based on Safari on the iPhone and this has long had this issue.  You will notice that on PowerApps on Android, for example, the user cannot pinch and spread to zoom in and out.  However on the iPhone you can.  It's not of a particular value to do so on the iPhone, but since this "feature" exists, this is where the issue comes in as the rendering thinks it is too small and needs to zoom for the user.

The other option I mentioned was just using a Gallery and TextInput (and an icon for the dropdown).  It gets pretty complex if you have to deal with multi-selections.

RandyHayes_0-1610314356931.png

Left is a Combobox.  Right is a TextInput with dropdown Icon

RandyHayes_1-1610314425139.png

Left is same combobox dropped down and right is "dropped -down" by turning the Gallery visible.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,937)