cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClassyMustard

Duplicate entries on Patch() using ForAll()

Hi all,

Great community here, it's helped me a LOT solving some encountered issues...but this one has me stumped.

I am creating a simple purchase order requisition app for my organization. The user simply hits a button and it navigates to the "New PO" screen. The button sets up a form and collection to use by the PO page:

NewForm(frmPOInfo);Set(_submitNewPOSUccess,false);ClearCollect(POCollection, {ItemID: 0,POItem: "", ItemQty: 0, ItemCost: 0, ItemTotal: 0});Clear(POCollection);Navigate(scrNewPO, ScreenTransition.Cover)

Once on the PO Page, the form is pre-filled and will be written to a sharepoint list with the "master" data. The user simply enters the items they require and hit the "save" icon to add a new row. When done, they hit the SAVE button that triggers a SubmitForm() for the "master" data write to the Sharepoint List and then triggers a ForAll() and Patch() via the OnSuccess() of the form (as I need the ID of the "master" data to be written back to the "details" list). This works like a charm. Code below:

ForAll(POCollection, If(!IsBlank(txtItem), Patch(PO_Details, Defaults(PO_Details), {Title:Now() & " " & ItemID, ItemName:txtItem.Text, ItemQty:Value(txtQty.Text), ItemCost:Value(txtItemCost.Text), ItemTotal:Value(txtItemTotal.Text), MasterID: frmPOInfo.LastSubmit.ID})));Set(_submitNewPOSuccess, true);Navigate(scrSuccess)

The problem that I face is that the patch ever only writes the details of the first item in the Collection and repeats it for n-number of entries in said collection. Now, before you say "AH-HA! Remove .Text and Value statements and you'll be golden!", I tried that as I read it on another post...the issue then is an iConvertible error that is triggered and no data is written...I have no idea what the iConvertible is referring to...as you all know...it doesn't come with any helpful insight!

I even tried generating a unique identifier and enabling force unique values. It works in the sense that the unique identifier is different in each list entry from the Patch() but the rest of the data is always what the first entry has. It never writes what items 2+ contain. Only ever what Item 1 has.

I'm at a loss....I'm sure it's a simple thing that I'm overlooking...but really would appreciate some help here.

Looking forward to hearing from someone!

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

It is getting late, so I might not be reading this correctly but from what I see the Patch() isn't using the column names from the collection except for the Title. The names txtItem, txtQty, txtItemCost and txtItemTotal appear to becoming from some text controls on one of the screens, so that would make sense if each item created from the iteration had the same values.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

It is getting late, so I might not be reading this correctly but from what I see the Patch() isn't using the column names from the collection except for the Title. The names txtItem, txtQty, txtItemCost and txtItemTotal appear to becoming from some text controls on one of the screens, so that would make sense if each item created from the iteration had the same values.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Hi Jeff,

Makes total sense ... I'm calling a repeating text control rather than the collection column....guess I was going code blind lol.

I'll make the changes in the AM and let you know, but I feel like that'll do it.

Thanks for pointing that out!!

So yup...that was it.

I knew it was going to be something simple but I was blinded by looking at the same thing over and over again.

Thanks Jeff!

Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,978)