cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwerderits
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Hint Text in Text Input Field

I have an app where users log their work. Users work at different locations each day and when logging their work, the first item they select is the location (combo box populated from a SharePoint list). The combo box has an OnChange action to set a string variable (facilityVar) to the selected value in the combo box.

There are several fields in the form that I've created dynamic hint text for by using a Switch statement with facilityVar since the instructions for completing the field vary depending on the location. This behavior works as intended when I test within Power Apps studio - the hint text changes as I select a different facility in the combo box. However, when I publish the app and try to test the live version, the hint text does not change, but stays static with the default from the Switch statement displayed.

I'm confused why this works from the studio, but not in actual use. I've tested using the Power Apps make interface on the web, the Power Apps web part within SharePoint, as well as the iOS and Android Power Apps apps and get the same behavior across the board.

3 REPLIES 3
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jwerderits ,

I made a test with the same scenario but found no issue. Could you please tell how you define the variable OnChange of the Combobox? Were you using Self.Selected.Value?

If so, please try and modify OnChange to use the Combo box Control name directly:

Set(varLocation, DataCardValue.Selected.Value)

Please have a try.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

My OnChange looks exactly like yours does:

Set(facilityVar, DataCardValue12.Selected.Value)

Hi @jwerderits ,

Since I am not able to reproduce this issue and everything works fine in the testing, please consider raise a ticket on the support page:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,397)