cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rmc
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic SortByColumns

I have a table of sales by month number and want to display that as trailing 12 months eg: If we are in April (month number 4) the display sales staring month 4 (April) thru month 3 (March).

I put all the format strings in another table SortText by month and dynamically lookup that string using

LookUp(SortText,MonthNumber=Month(Now()),SortOrderMonths) which returns [ 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3 ]

this statement does not work and no error given

SortByColumns(SalesTable, "MonthNumber", LookUp(SortText,MonthNumber=Month(Now()),SortOrderMonths))

If you hardcode it like this
SortByColumns(SalesTable, "MonthNumber",[ 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3 ])

then it works perfectly!

If anyone has any ideas, I can't see why it is not working.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Dynamic SortByColumns

The problem is when you are doing a LookUp using the table that has your sortorders, it returns a text and that's why it doesn't work. 

You might want to try something like this:

SortByColumns(SalesTable, "MonthNumber", Switch(Month,4, [ 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3 ], 5, [5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3,4))

Let me know if this helps. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

The problem is when you are doing a LookUp using the table that has your sortorders, it returns a text and that's why it doesn't work. 

You might want to try something like this:

SortByColumns(SalesTable, "MonthNumber", Switch(Month,4, [ 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3 ], 5, [5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3,4))

Let me know if this helps. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

View solution in original post

rmc
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Hardit!

Worked perfectly. Would never of thought to use Switch statement here.

Mark

Super User
Super User

Glad I could help! Good luck with the rest of the app! Feel free to reach out in case of any questions!

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Power Platform 2020 release wave 1 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 1 plan

Features releasing from April 2020 through September 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,093)