Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlmckean
Helper IV
Helper IV

Dynamic change of properties of object in gallery not working

Hi

I wanted to add a dropdown in a gallery that would by default have Visible: false.

The property would be changed to Visible: True in the Onselect property of an icon or button. However I could not get this to work. I  tested other properties of the dropdown   and also a label and I could not get  any property of an object to change dynamically in the gallery control - 

Any suggestions why ??

Cheers

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm glad you were able to figure it out from the one word 🙂

Here's a trick I learned early on that helped me out a lot: you can use the ! operator in place of Not(). So if you want to toggle a context variable from true to false or false to true. I think this might be useful to you should you want your dropdown to reveal again.

UpdateContext({variable: !variable});

You could also use the same principle twice so that a variable goes from false to true, then true to false again. It's useful for resetting properties:

UpdateContext({variable: !variable})

It is similar to:

UpdateContext({variable: true});
UpdateContext({variable: false})

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

Can you share the formula you are using in your icon/button?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

Hi Mr-Dang

Many thanks for the reply - It was a senior moment (again!) and I only had to read the word Formula and I remembered you could not set properties dynamically in PowerApps ( unlike other applications I have been used to !) , but only by using Context Variables.

It would be good if an error had been raised when I put the formula in the Onselect property of the button   as 

Dropdown1.Visible = False

which is indeed invalid - instead of

updatecontext({editdropdown: false})

where editdropdown is my contextvariable and the Visible property of the dropdown is set to <editdropdown>. Strange how one can set back into a previous style even though the new requirements have already been used !!

I am sure many newcomers to PowerApps may intially stumble at this hurdle as I did, as the requirement for declaring a context variable although documented, is kind of hidden in tutorial articles so you have to go a long read to find it !!

Thanks again

Richard

mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm glad you were able to figure it out from the one word 🙂

Here's a trick I learned early on that helped me out a lot: you can use the ! operator in place of Not(). So if you want to toggle a context variable from true to false or false to true. I think this might be useful to you should you want your dropdown to reveal again.

You could also use the same principle twice so that a variable goes from false to true, then true to false again. It's useful for resetting properties:

UpdateContext({variable: !variable})

It is similar to:

UpdateContext({variable: true});
UpdateContext({variable: false})

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

Thanks for that - All good !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (906)