cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smatera9681
Helper I
Helper I

Edit Form Custom

I am very new to Powerapps, I created a custom Form (Main Inventory Form.Jpg) in this form I have multiple text inputs and other Inputs that get patched to my SharePoint list when I click the submit button (Submit Button Code.jpg).  Once I click submit the fields get patched to the list without any issues and creates my item in my list, I have a field called Equipment Type, within this list I have a drop down that points to different Equipment types.  IE: Computer, iPad,Monitor etc.  I would like to be able to edit my particular Equipment Type item using my custom form when i click edit item. 

The issue i have is when I click edit item it opens the main page of my form (Main Inventory form.jpg)and not the item with its corresponding data to my custom form of that Equipment Type.

Computer Inventory Screen.jpg is what I would like to open when I click on edit item, and have the data from the list for that item brought into that custom form screen.

I would like to be able to click Edit Item and have powerapps open up my Equipment Type screen and bring in the data from that item based on that equipment type choice so it knows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Smatera9681 

In general, you will need to have your Equipment Screen know about the type you want to edit.  This can be referred to by whatever control on your main screen contains the value you want.  

So, on the Default property of your Dropdown for the equipment type...you need to refer to the control or field that contains that value you want.  So, if it is in the current SharePoint item, then:

SharePointIntegration.Item.EquipmentType

Or if it is just on the Edit form, then ControlName.Text (this is dependent on the control...TextInput assumed in this case).

I will make a general comment that if you are new to PowerApps, I would strongly consider that you use the built in EditForms rather than create your own like you are and then Patching.  You are missing a lot of feature by doing that, and if you want it, you will have to design it - things like: Error checking, Validation, Has Changes, etc.

It would be worth the time to take a look at my video on Forms that reviews all of the basics and a whole lot more that you probably never knew about using forms.  In general, the EditForm is the backbone of the app and does so much for you.   For example, your Patch statement would be reduced to SubmitForm 

Makes it much easier to build up an app fast without struggling with long formulas.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
HenryARPhillips
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi,

So essentially with a Form, you have a couple of modes.

New - For new entries.

Edit, for what we want.

Display for just viewing an entry in a non editable fashion.

So first thing we need to do, is ensure that we are accessing the form in edit mode.

So your edit button could do something like EditForm(FormName)

Next we need to have a valid item to provide that is available within the Datasource of a given Form.

So something like on the Edit button, Set(gblCurrentEquipmentItem,ThisItem) Although this is probably more valid if doing it from a gallery.

Together:

EditForm(FormName);

Set(gblCurrentEquipmentItem,ThisItem)

There are also ways of passing just local variables as part of the Navigation function if the Form is on a different screen if that makes more sense and is cleaner.

But hopefully the above explains the missing bit which is basically having the item for the Form to edit. So in the item property of the form in our example above, it would be set to gblCurrentEquipmentItem

If the current Item of the Form from where we are clicking the button from is a different list, to that of the Form we want to edit on. So say an Equipment List. For the Item, you will need to have something that can determine your item from your current Form. So you could try using perhaps a LookUp. So something like, LookUp(EquipmentList, Id = cmbEquipment.Selected.Id) That would then give you a useable record for the say the Equipment Form that is backed by the EquipmentList SP List data source.

Smatera9681
Helper I
Helper I

@RandyHayesThe issue using the SharePoint form and data cards is I can't make it my own and move fields around.  This is why I created my own custom form to give my own look and feel.  I do not like that datacards dont let you move the fields around and customize the form like we were able to in InfoPath

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Smatera9681 

Review the video!!!  Yes you can still use the advanced features of a form and have a custom form appearance.  

Also, based on the custom form I see in your pictures, you would have been able to get that exact look with an edit form.  Trust me on this one...we make very complex entry screens that are highly customized, and they all use an EditForm - the power and simplicity it provides is invaluable!  It is worth learning exactly how to make an edit form do what you want, you will be rewarded in the end.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

What part of the video shows this? I dont have time to watch a 2 hour youtube video.  Thank you for the help and quick response

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Smatera9681 

Will you spend more than 2 hours trying to figure out what you are struggling with?

There is a table of contents on the video (in the description).  You can skip around as needed.  

The video builds from the basics up to the advanced.  It is free training and worth the 2 hours.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,165)