cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LJPaul
Level: Powered On

Edit Form Field - only certain data cards have Edit mode enabled

Hello,

I am working with an Edit Form Field, populated by a Sharepoint Form Library, which in turn uses an Infopath Form Template. However, when connecting to this data connection, only certain data cards have an edit mode, the rest are view only. I'm not sure how to find what is the cause behind this. For example, the "Comments" field behaves as desired... the data card inherits Parent.DisplayMode, which is the Edit mode. However, other fields only have a DisplayMode.View, and when I unlock their advanced properties in an attempt to change this, they still lack an Update field like the "Comments" data card has.

Can anyone help me understand:

1. Why most of the data cards do not have "Parent.DisplayMode" and instead have "DisplayMode.View", and no option to switch to edit mode? If I can figure why there is a difference between these data cards and the ones that are behaving as desired (the comments field), then maybe I can fix the issue in Sharepoint or Infopath.

2. How to manually change the data cards to have the desired Edit mode functionality?

Many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Edit Form Field - only certain data cards have Edit mode enabled

Since PowerApps is reading in the columns from SharePoint it will only allow you to update the ones that are that are editable in SharePoint. Are the dataCards that are view only related to columns in SharePoint that aren't updatable through the UI?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
LJPaul

Hello there,

Because the form library uses an Infopath form template, it is my understanding that the only way to edit any of the fields found in the form is to either open the form in Infopath or choose "Edit in browser". Both of these approaches work fine. However, when dealing with the data cards in Powerapps, I can only edit the "Comments" field using the PowerApp. Having tested a revision to a comment using my PowerApp, it works fine... the comment is updated in the form library correctly. However, I'm not able to see why the comments field is the one of the few data cards that can switched to edit, the rest having only the view option. 

Please let me know if I can provide any other information to figure out the problem.

Super User
Super User

Can you provide a screenshot of the columns in the Library Settings page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
LJPaul

screenshot.PNG

I see now that columns that can be selected (Title, and Comments downward) are fields that are providing the desired behavior. In the screenshot Comments is blue because I recently selected it to edit if further. Anything between Form Number and Work Center cannot be selected.This appears to be a Sharepoint or Infopath issue and not necessarily specific to Powerapps, but if you could provide any suggestions or references to a method of modifying the behavior of these columns, I would really appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,979)