cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AFernandez
Level: Powered On

Edit SharePoint List From PowerApps without EditForm

Hello, 

I want to build an App where I can edit a SharePoint List from PowerApps, but without using an Edit Form.  

I want to have a main screen with a New Request button (among other options) that navigates to a New Request Screen.  On the New Request Screen I want to have text input fields where users input the data to create new records in the sharepoint list.  

I have done this before but using a newform command and an Edit Form, but I am trying to have more flexibility in the way the user interacts with the information and the way the fields are displayed.  I want users to entry general information in one screen first and then detail information in a second new entry screen.

Is there a way to do this?

11 REPLIES 11
EricLott
Level 10

Re: Edit SharePoint List From PowerApps without EditForm

You can do this using Power Automate (or Flow). You can set up a Flow that is triggered by PowerApps, requests certain data from PowerApps, and then builds out SharePoint item or just part of a SharePoint item. 

Sort of a variation of this template, check it out:

https://us.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/d73f9d6169314b2e86883f23c003fc22/add-...

AFernandez

Thank you so much, I´ll give it a try.  Let you know the results.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @AFernandez ,

Do you want to create individual Text Boxes to collect user's entry without Edit form, then submit the new entry to your SP List?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the Patch function could achieve your needs. I have made a test on my side, please consider take a try with the following workaround:

Within your "New Request Screen", add a "Submit" button, set the OnSelect property to following:

Patch(
      'YourSPList',
      Defaults('YourSPList'),
      {
        Title: TitleTextBox.Text,
        Office: OfficeTextBox.Text,
        Proyect: ProyectTextBox.Text,
        Type: TypeTextBox.Text
      }
)

More details about the Patch function, please check the following article:

Patch function

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
AFernandez

Hi, this solution looks like what I had in mind when working on the app.  Thank you very much.  I'll try it out and let you know the results. 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @AFernandez ,

Have you taken a try with the solution I provided above? Is it helpful in your scenario?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the solution I provided above could achieve your needs. Please consider take a try with it, check if the issue is solved.

If the issue is solved, please consider go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
AFernandez

Hi @v-xida-msft , not yet.

As most of us are these days Im working on several things at the same time, and I want to make sure that I can make the time to focus on trying this solutions. I do not have an IT Background (I'm a Risk Analyst), so I'm sure it's going to take me some time to apply and undestrand them.  I thing I'll work on them over the weekend. 

Thank you so much for the help and the follow up, I'll let you know as soon as I try them out.

Regards,

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @AFernandez ,

Actually, these built-in functions supported in PowerApps is easy to learn, which is not complex as other programming language.

More details about the functions supported in PowerApps, please refer to the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/formula-reference

More details about the usage of Patch function, please check the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX5q_V3U8-s

Please take a try with above solution I provided, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

AFernandez

Hi @v-xida-msft , sorry for taking so long to reply.

I have been Reading the information you sent about the patch function and from what I understand it seems to be exactly the solution to my situation, but It seems that I am not getting the syntax of the formula quite right, I can't get it to work.

From what I understand the formula should be:

Patch(

MySharePointList,

Defaults(MySharePointList),

{

NameoftheColumninMySharePointList : NameoftheInputTextFieldinPowerApps.text

}

)

In this example I am only using  one text field buy I undestand that I only need to repeat the step with the name of the column in SharPoint for each of my text fields in PowerApps.

When I do this I get the red dot with White X on the Submitt button in PowerApps with the following error message: Expected Operator.  We expect and operator such as +, *, or & at this point in the formula.

Do you see the error in my formula?

Kind Regards,

AFernandez

Hi @EricLott , I have not worked yet with Power Automation, so I finally decided to work with a form for this part of the system. 

Thank you very much for your help and I'm going to start working with Power Automation, so you probably will be seen some other post from me son.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,399)