Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Edit all data cards together in DetailScreens

Hello!

I want to change the titles' font color of all datacards in a DetailScreen. So far I only managed to do that manually, one datacard after the other, which is time-consuming and not dynamic (if I add a new column to my list the new datacard will not have the good font color I guess).

Is there a way to echange the titles' font, font color, font size, etc. of all datacards in a DetailScreen?

Charlie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Re: Edit all data cards together in DetailScreens

This article provides a very nifty suggestion that helps a lot, which is to link properties of multiple elements to just one of the elements.

For example, if you have Label1, Label2, ... Label 10, you can change the font property for Label2 onwards to Label1.Font, so that when you change the Font for Label1 it updates to the rest of them.

You can use this with probably all properties and you can do some useful things like setting the X property of fields that need to be aligned to the first field in a column, and when you move that field all the others move with it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @charlie75,

Currently editing the same property of different controls is not available in PowerApps.

I have seen ideas submited on this request already, but I can't find that link by now.

Please consider create your own idea:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Any idea if this feature has been released?  Or has anyone found a work-around?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

The only way I've found to mass edit form elements is to manually create my own "data cards" using Dropdowns/Textboxes/Labels/Stars/Error Messages/etc. Then you can select multiple Controls at once in the left pane and apply styling to them all with one command. 

Limitations: 

• There is no way to have a scrolling form. Meaning, if you have more manually created form fields than screen real estate, you'll have to use Visibility or another screen to move user through your form. 
  • You'll have to use Patch instead of SubmitForm
  • You'll have to use Reset on each input control instead of ResetForm
  • Error handling is ALLLLL manual. 
    • You'll have to use DisplayMode on the Submit button to control when the user can submit form
    • Upon submit, you lose all the Parent.Error functionality, OnSuccess, OnError, etc. 
    • This will need to be setup manually using If statements. 

Forms are probably the biggest pain in PowerApps. Unfortunately, its the best use case for PowerApps (form replacement apps). I've spent DAYS (not hours at this point) customizing form by clicking into each Data Card, selecting the 4-5 controls I need to style and applying Properties, moving to the next repeat, repeat, repeat. 

@powerappsTeam: If you need someone to give feedback on how to make your Forms BETTER, Please Reach Out!! 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for responding.  I guess it's 6 of one bad thing, half a dozen of another.  

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Meh. So far Patching the manually created form elements works ok. I still use stock Data Cards when the # of fields is over 15-20. 

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

This article provides a very nifty suggestion that helps a lot, which is to link properties of multiple elements to just one of the elements.

For example, if you have Label1, Label2, ... Label 10, you can change the font property for Label2 onwards to Label1.Font, so that when you change the Font for Label1 it updates to the rest of them.

You can use this with probably all properties and you can do some useful things like setting the X property of fields that need to be aligned to the first field in a column, and when you move that field all the others move with it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Great suggestion!

One thing to keep in mind when using this approach: Don’t delete the master Control! Because when you do, it cascades to all Controls that relies on it.
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Very true, hadn't thought about that. Perhaps one could create some hidden elements that would act like master controllers for common things like font and color, and you'd have no reason to delete those. For example, if you had multiple headers you could have a hidden label called Header0 and link all your other header's relevant design properties to it.

Just a thought!

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Totally! Yep, been there too. Also tried setting variables for each Property using what is called “pseudo-CSS. Basically OnStart, Set(varPrimaryFill, ColorValue(“#123456”)) and such for FontSize, Weight, Colors, etc.

Some considerations:

- Handing off the app to others? They have to be aware of the hidden elements and variables.

- Copying and pasting Controls between apps? Don’t forget the hidden elements and / or variables.

Just really want to be able to select all controls on the screen or in the left nav even if they are in separate data cards.

I hear rumor of a Paint Format feature. Wouldn’t that be awesome!? Just paint the format of one Control onto a host of others.

Take care!

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,274)