cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Edit page filling up variable that are blank in the dataset

I am a beginner in PowerApps, however, I managed to create a well function app, despite what it seems to me a bug. My app is connected to an Excel file (One Drive for Business). Many of the rows do have some blank cells (that is precisely the purpose of this app, collecting data from our Sales rep). This is the situation, imagine that the user selects a customer. The detail page shows that some information is missing, let's say "country" and "Sales Rep Name". Whenever the user selects the "EditScreen" sometimes PowerApps will populate a country despite the data having a blank cell. If the user then cancels and hits to edit again PowerApps will behave as expected and show Country being blank (I use a dropdown for this field). The problem is that the user might not be interested in updating the country field, but other fields, and he/she might not noticed that PowerApss have wrongly populated the edit country field. That will inadvertently create a lot of noise in my data which I won't be able to clean it up. So turns out that after spending several hours learning and creating this app it might do more harm than good. Has anyone seen this problem before? Is there a workaround?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Re: Edit page filling up variable that are blank in the dataset

Could you try using this formula on the Country datacard default property.

If(<FormName>.Mode=FormMode.Edit, ThisItem.Country_Name)

And similarly for Operator

If(<FormName>.Mode=FormMode.Edit, ThisItem.Operator)

Replace form name with the name of your form. 

Let me know if this works. @cpaiva 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ZabiBabar 

Thank you for the prompt response. I tried the proposed solution on the datacard, on the DataCardValue and on both, and still did not work.

Rgds,

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ZabiBabar 

I believe I found the solution. At least it seems to be OK now. It is a setting of the drop-down menu.

Advanced => DATA => AllowEmptySelection => Set it to true

Rgds.

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

That's awesome! That makes sense as to why this would work! But still confused about the country and operator going back to blank the 2nd time edit is clicked. But I am glad it is working

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Indeed strange and this type of issue makes it so much harder to troubleshoot. Anyways, seems OK now! Thanks!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,531)