cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ConRobMcC
Frequent Visitor

EditForm new values not being reflected in the data source

Hi all,

I've been working on creating a PowerApp connected through a SQL Server database. The only thing causing me grief at the moment is the Edit/Submit Form. For some reason whenever I try and update a record in the edit form, and click my button that submits the form, the new data values aren't being pushed to the datasource. The new values stay reflected on the form itself, but the datasource isn't getting the new values. I have messages checking both the OnSuccess and OnFailure actions, but the OnFailure never triggers so I can't be certain what's going wrong here.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem? I've tried searching the forums and google, but couldn't come up with anything that helped me fix the issue.

20 REPLIES 20

@ConRobMcC 

I'm not sure where you are with respect to my suggestions.  Have you tried to let PowerApps create the app for you from the make.powerapps.com page using your SQL table as the datasource? 

@Drrickryp 

Yes sorry, that's how I initially built the app in the first place; it generated from a SQL Server connection using a gateway. The app itself is a pretty basic gallery list you select a record from that takes you to an edit form screen (which was auto generated). I made some changes to that screen to have text box input since the form decided to auto generate without a text box, and I also have if statements on the data values visibility depending on the previous screen the record was selected from. 

Hi @ConRobMcC 

If the edit form worked before you modified it, and now it doesn't, that's a pretty big clue it was something you did.

@Drrickryp 

The edit form never worked from the get go. The submit form function wouldn't actually push the updated values to the datasource table. If I change the edit form screen back to be as basic as the auto generated version, I still face the same problem.

@ConRobMcC 

Was that when the data was Read Only?

@Drrickryp 

Yes, I just tried making a new app connecting to the table again and the edit form works. Could you shed some light as to why a fix is to just start making the app all over again?

@ConRobMcC 

Great news!  I have a thought that somewhere along the line, you made a modification that broke the form.  I have no idea what it was though.  I have rarely encountered a situation when PowerApps creates an app from data that it won't work.  In the beginning when I was first using PowerApps, I carefully studied these apps to better understand the underlying logic.  There are many situations where the out of the box solutions don't apply and you have to customize.  That is where this forum, the video tutorials and blog posts are most helpful.  In every case, I was able to address the issues that arose by using one of these resources. Welcome to the PowerApps community.  

@Drrickryp 

Yeah I think the issue stemmed from trying to still use and manipulate an edit form generated from the read only table. Making a new app prompted me to go back and just try creating a different edit form which generated just fine and allowed me to write with no issues. Thank you for your help!

@ConRobMcC 

If it answered your question could you accept it as a solution please?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,156)