cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zerou
Helper I
Helper I

Editing a text field?

Forgive me if this is a very simple task.

I'm trying to simply edit the pre-existing text for something on a canvas from "This Is The Message" to "Here Is The Message", but when I double click the text it says "This property has a formula, select to edit in the formula bar". But when I go to the formula bar, all I see is "Parent.DisplayName". However if I select the datacard on the canvas and go to advanced, there is a field labeled "DisplayName" with "This Is The Message" in quotes like this. I tried editing that field, and it immediately reflected the changes on the canvas. Now my question(s) is,

1) is this the correct way of editing field headers? Or will I break something by doing this?

2) Is there any way that I can save this as a "in progress" file and come back to it at any time and NOT publish it but still be able to test it? 

I'm very new to powerapps and have been thrust into fixing the work left behind by others. I

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BCBuizer
Super User
Super User

Hi @zerou ,

Usually after publishing your app, you need to reload your browser page a couple of times before you see the new version, so that may have caused your issue.

Happy to see your issue is now resolved. Can you please mark the post that has the solution for the benefit of the community?

Did you like my post? Please give it a thumbs up! Did I resolve your issue? Please click Accept as Solution to close the topic and so other members of the community can find solutions more easily.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BCBuizer
Super User
Super User

Hi @zerou ,

To edit properties of a DataCard, first you have to unlock it. You can do so by selecting it, going to the advanced tab on the right of the screen and then click the padlock icon to unlock:

BCBuizer_0-1660335479946.png

Did you like my post? Please give it a thumbs up! Did I resolve your issue? Please click Accept as Solution to close the topic and so other members of the community can find solutions more easily.

Thank you for the fast reply BCBuizer. I only have the properties and advanced tabs on the data card, no ideas one. And no lock or unlocked icon, I can just edit the stuff in the properties and advanced field as is. I assume that's a permissions thing and I was given it by the previous person? Anyway, so is that how we edit those text headers then for fields? And it will not cause any problems?

BCBuizer
Super User
Super User

Hi @zerou ,

If you have no lock, that means the datacard is already unlocked, probably by the previous owner. Editing properties might cause issue, so I would suggest to save the code by commenting it out:

This is;
the new code;

//This is;
//the old code;

Adding "//" makes it a comment, so the code is not executed, but you can still see it. Like that you can easily reverse any changes you made in case things go wrong. In your case for the Text property of the DataCardKey:

"Here is the Message"

//Parent.DisplayName

zerou
Helper I
Helper I

Hi. Thank you for the help.

I edited the datcardkey in the advanced tab for each datacard and changed the text under "DisplayName" then saved the app and published it. However the text has not changed upon reloading the app, it's still showing the old text headers. I looked again in the advanced tab and there's a "Default" text box and it has the same text as what was in the "DisplayName" box. So I tried editing this box as well, but then a dropdown box of other headers in the canvas appears.

I'm so confused as to what I'm doing. I just want to change the text a person sees.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems to be working now and showing the replaced text. Thank you!

BCBuizer
Super User
Super User

Hi @zerou ,

Usually after publishing your app, you need to reload your browser page a couple of times before you see the new version, so that may have caused your issue.

Happy to see your issue is now resolved. Can you please mark the post that has the solution for the benefit of the community?

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events that are happening this month - don't miss out!

Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (4,563)