cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vscarpato1
Level: Powered On

Editing rights management

I'm contemplating rebuilding an inherited Nintex Form in PowerApps.

One thing the existing Nintex form does is restrict edit rights for an existing item to the item creator, or a member of a specific Group. Is there a way to replicate this in PowerApps?

I want all users with access to the underlying SharePoint to be able to create new items and edit their own items, but only those specified should be able to edit anyone else's items.

All suggestions appreciated!

Thanks y'all.

2 REPLIES 2
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Editing rights management

Hi @vscarpato1 

In PowerApps, you can get the logged in user context using the User() object

So you can always check if Created By user matches the logged in user and accordingly show the edit option

Also, to check if user is a member of a specific SP group

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-PowerApps-Formerly/User-Existed-or-not-in-SharePoint-Gr...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Eelman
Level 10

Re: Editing rights management

@vscarpato1 

It's my understanding that permissions/restrictions are handled at the SP end.

You can build apps where you place restrictions inside the app on the user, however, if those users have read/write access to your SP data (which sounds like your case) ... and are technically savvy ... then they could build their own separate app and have full read/write access to the SP data. There are a number of articles presenting this as an issue in PowerApps. Essentially you need to get creative on the SP side or think differently about how users access the data.

An example of an app I've built creatively is where users enter HR data and this links back to a SP list (List 1). Users have read/write access to this SP list. To prevent these users from creating their own app and getting access to this data I've created a Flow which sends new SP items (from List 1) to a different resticted SP list (List 2) and the newly created item (in List 1) is then deleted.

Only management have access to List 2. To indicate to the user that their item (List 1) was created the Flow also sends them (and the responsible HR manager) an email with a few of the item details.

I'm not sure if this helps your situation as it sounds more complex then my example but hopefully it can help you work towards a solution.

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,227)