cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Educational Licencing for Power Apps

I hope someone can help me, I cant find the answer to this question anywhere.

If I build a Power Portal App for my school staff (which has A3 licencing). Is the licencing for the App free (because everyone has an A3 licence already) or do I need to pay the standard super convoluted pricing or is there another special pricing layer for Educational?

Please help 🙂

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Educational Licencing for Power Apps

Hi @Peter_Edusuite ,

According to the Microsoft licensing Documentation (you will need to read this to be sure), the Platform Features further down include PowerApps and SharePoint.

What I believe is generally the case, is if you can produce/publish something on a licence level, then others with the same licence can use it as well.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@Peter_Edusuite 

I hope someone can prove me wrong, but I don't think an A3 license would cover this scenario.

A3 is an Office 365 SKU, and there are no usage rights according to the guide.

image.png

@heather_italent - do you know of anyone inside Microsoft with knowledge of educational licensing?

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

I will tag this thread as I have another personal interest in it.

My comment at the bottom was around if @Peter_Edusuite can create a PowerApps on the licence they have (which the MS document implies), then other users with the same licence can also use it (which is what was asked).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the responses and just for clarity, the question was more:

If I crease an app using my A3 licence, can the other school users use the app I have produced without needing an additional licence (beyond the A3) or do they count as additional users and in that case our school will be subject to the additional power app specific licence fees?

I hope this provides more clarity...

Also, does anyone know if there are Educational specific pricing for the Power Apps if the additional licences are required.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Peter_Edusuite ,

Without being able to test it, I would do the following

You could also reach out to the Microsoft Community Support team 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@Peter_Edusuite - thanks for clarifying. From your initial post, I thought you were asking specificly about building a Portal app.

>> If I crease an app using my A3 licence, can the other school users use the app I have produced without needing an additional licence (beyond the A3) or do they count as additional users and in that case our school will be subject to the additional power app specific licence fees?

In answer to this, if you create a "Canvas" app that uses SharePoint or standard connectors, all other users with an A3 license can use your app without additional licensing.

An A3 license will not cover the use of a "Model Driven App", nor will it cover a Portal app. For this, you will need additional licensing.

I'm not sure about specific educational pricing. I have worked for charities who have secured preferential licensing, so I know that schemes exist that are not openly advertised. Hopefully, someone else here may know the answer to this.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Power Aaps' Office 365 SKU rights are
If you have Power Apps for office 365(Apply), you can create and use campus apps.

Portals and the creation and use of model-driven apps are not allowed.

img.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020 Winner Announced

Check it out!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,195)