Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DustinB
Advocate I
Advocate I

Efficient way to display large amounts of data in Gallery

Hi everyone,

What is the best way to display a large amount of data in a horizontal gallery?

Scenario:
I have a SharePoint list with 3-5k items as data source.
The curious requirement is to display this effectively in a mobile app.
The best way is to scroll horizontally (horizontal gallery)
A grouping for clarity or effective filters would not be bad either.

With such a large amount of data the galleries unfortunately fail and the simple "scrolling through" becomes difficult.

Ideas:

I tried to put two gallerys into each other in order to display the data sets grouped and structured, but unfortunately the "flexible height" function is only available for vertical gallerys...

I also tried to create a scrollbar from the slider, which didn't look very good, or the filter/lookup functions needed a few seconds to load...

Does anyone have an efficient idea to (group) simply display such a huge amount of data?

Thanks a lot in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
JayMagness
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Yes there is a couple of ways to do this.

Fist of all there should be a search in here some where to help trim down the scrolling number.

scrolling through 200, much less 3-5K records will cause issues in fingers I would think.

I will send you a note and see if we can get on teams and I can try to help you

poweractivate
Super User II
Super User II

@DustinB 

If the data lends well to certain groupings you could try having some checkboxes and filter on those checkboxes. Then the number will be much smaller and people can still see all of them if they really want to, or, use the checkboxes to go through a subset. Then you might also be able to keep your preferred horizontal gallery if that makes the most sense otherwise.

Other than the above, this is quite open ended and there are many possible solutions depending on the data set.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (57,237)