cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Embed PBI report with Row Level Security functionality into PowerApp

I'm looking to build a PowerApp that will allow external users to view PowerBI reports with the data in the data model restricted based on the Role value of the user. In this case Role is the year the data was generated so based on the Role associated with the external user they will only see data from rows with the Field "Year" = user "Role".

Example:

Mike and John have role "2019". When they view the PowerBI report within the PowerApp the App passes the value "2019" to the PBI report which only shows them data that occurred in 2019.

Tom has role 2018 and thus should only see 2018 data in the same report.

I know how to accomplish this using Embedded Tokens as you are able to provide the Role value when creating the Token. Is it possible in PowerApps by having the App reference a table with Users and Roles and passing the Role value to the Report?

Please be aware I am not looking for how to use a URL filter. I know how to accomplish that within PowerApps but it does not meet my security requirements. This must be accomplished using Row Level Security as I've outlined above.

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Embed PBI report with Row Level Security functionality into PowerApp

Hi Clayjhs,

Please check this url:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

I hope it helps you!

Javier.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,927)