cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davenull311
Frequent Visitor

Embedding a Canvas App in a Model Driven App - "Getting your data..."

I've created a canvas app and (mostly) successfully embedded it into a tab in a model-driven app. However, there are two issues... First, there is a large dark-gray space above and below the tablet-sized app. I'm not sure why it's there, and as the canvas app is embedded in the first field in the tab, the first gray block is even more confusing. (Attached "Gray space.jpg" image)

The bigger problem is that my app simply reads "Getting your data..." and never updates. It's in the same environment, the data is loaded via an "Edit" form, and is linked to the proper entity. There are no errors listed for the app, and in the Studio, everything works perfectly. (Attached "GettingYourData.jpg" and "PAStudio.jpg" images)

The app fields pull/post data from grant application records in the CDS. All of the pages in the app load, and the built-in navigation works. It's just that no data ever loads. 

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? What better information can I provide to help diagnose this issue? 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

Here are a few suggestions and questions: 

1. For the gray space, have you turned on the "Optimize embedding appearance" under App settings? 

2. What is the Item property of the form? 

I have a series of blog posts on embedded canvas apps. The main challenge and suggestion is to never trust the results of an embedded app inside the editor. Here is the series: https://thepoweraddict.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-embedded-canvas-apps/

Anyways, let me know answers to these questions and we can solve this together. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

Here are a few suggestions and questions: 

1. For the gray space, have you turned on the "Optimize embedding appearance" under App settings? 

2. What is the Item property of the form? 

I have a series of blog posts on embedded canvas apps. The main challenge and suggestion is to never trust the results of an embedded app inside the editor. Here is the series: https://thepoweraddict.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-embedded-canvas-apps/

Anyways, let me know answers to these questions and we can solve this together. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

View solution in original post

Thanks, @PowerAddict ! 

I hadn't noticed the optimized setting for the appearance - that solves the gray space issue! 

This is a total noob question, but where is the item property, and is it of the editable form itself? I don't see anything other than the unique name... 

Thanks! 

Awesome, glad we have knocked out one issue. 

For the other one, this is where the Item property is for a form (it basically tells you which record to display): 

FormItemProperty.JPG

Let me know and we can solve this one as well!

---

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

The Item property for every editable field is blank. So that certainly explains it... What should that be pointing to, and is that a default setting when creating the form, did I screw up, or did the system leave that blank? That's bizarre! 

Also - That Retro Tennis game is AWESOME!!! 

Nice! Glad you liked it! It's a very simple model that can be reused for a lot of games e.g. soccer which is what I am working on right now. 

Anyways, the form should have an Item property. Select your form (not a specific data card) and in the Advanced section on the right side pane, you can see the Item property. I am sure you have something there because you see data within the editor. 

Easiest would be to take a screenshot of the Advanced Properties of the form. 

---

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

This is with the editable form selected. The Item property is blank - and it's like this for the other 5 forms on the other screens as well. 

I apologize for the blurring. I'm not sure what of this is open for release, so I just took all of it out. I left the ">" arrows so that you can see the individual DataCards and other screens. 

That's fine. If your form doesn't have an Item set, the form doesn't know which record to display, which is why it will be stuck at Getting data. I am pretty sure that within your editor, if you hit the play button to preview the app, you will see the same behavior. 

Since this is an embedded app, do you expect to display the record from the form where this app is embedded? If so, it should be:

[@ModelDrivenFormIntegation].Item

Let me know if this helps. 

---

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

I'm still getting an exception: "Name isn't valid. The identifier isn't recognized." 

Is this something that needs to be added to each individual field instead of the form Item property? 

Per the Docs page... 

"Known issues and limitations with embedded canvas apps
The canvas app custom control is only supported for use with the Web client type. Currently, the Phone and Tablet client types aren't supported."

I believe when I set this up, the only options available were "tablet" and "phone," so I chose tablet... Could it really be that simple (and by simple I mean soul-crushing that I have to redo the entire app)? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,278)