cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Empty gallery's form says "Getting your Data" instead of "No item to display"

I've got a gallery that's linked to a form (data source is a SharePoint list, filtered by a give criteria). The form item is set to Gallery.Selected. Everything works as expected (creating/submitting new items, and editing existing items).

When there are no items in the gallery, the form says "No item to display" (in preview mode from the editer). From there I can create a new item and everything is fine. When I access the app using the Web link though, instead of saying "No item to display" it says "Getting your data..." This confuses the users because they're waiting for something to load. People think it's frozen and get frustrated and leave.

Any ideas? Can you set the 'no item' message somehow? Why would it be different in the preview vs the actual app?

Thanks in advance! 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Empty gallery's form says "Getting your Data" instead of "No item to display&quot

Hi @mallan20,

Could you please share a bit more about your issue within your app?

Do you create a canvas app or custom a form for your SP list on your side?

Further, could you please share a screenshot about your issue?

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. Please consider take a try to clear cache of your browser, then run your app again, check if the issue is solved.

In addition, please consider take a try to turn off the "Delayed load" option and "Improved app rendering (final validation)" option within Advanced settings of App settings of your app, then re-load your app, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Empty gallery's form says "Getting your Data" instead of "No item to display&

Thanks @v-xida-msft;

Here's some more info. There's a lot going on in my app, so I created a very simple test so I can isolate the issue. Unfortunately I can't share the app itself; we don't allow external sharing to our SharePoint site collection. The test app captures the essence of what's going on. It's a canvas app with just a gallery, an edit form (in view mode), and text input field, and a button.

The gallery's data source is a collection that contains items from my SharePoint list filtered on the contents of the text field (the column is just a text column, called "email"). The button reloads the collection to re-filter based on the text input. The form's data source is the SharePoint list, the item is Gallery.Selected.

When the text input is blank, the gallery is empty. When I enter email addresses I know to be in my list, they load fine; the first item loads into form. When I clear the text input or enter a value I know not to be in the list, the gallery is empty. All works as expected; there's nothing out of the ordinary here that would trip anything up.

As with my other app, when I test this in preview mode from the editor, the form says "No item to display". When I publish the app and use the web link it says "Getting your data..." (both when I start the app and when I clear the text input and reload the collection). I've attached some screenshots, but there's not much to see but what I've described.

I've tried turning off delayed load and Improved app rendering, and tried with just delayed load off and just improved app rendering off. No luck; same result every time. I cleared my chache and made sure I was loading the new published version of the app (checked by using a label that I incremented each time). I don't think it's a caching issue though; I shared my app with others who had never used the app and they saw the same thing.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Empty gallery's form says "Getting your Data" instead of "No item to display&quot

I am having the same issue. 

When I am editing the app, In preview mode I see '' No Item to Display''

In the phone app I see '' Getting your data''

It is the first time it happens to me and I am very worried. It is confusing as well 

I took 2 screen shots. You can see that in the studio preview there is no problem but in the link it doesnt work. Same for my apple phone. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,196)