cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markikav
Frequent Visitor

Enable a choice variable based on checklist (Yes/No variables) selections

Hi Community

I have a use case where I have a Progress Status choice menu in Sharepoint with choices A -> H.

I have a form with a checklist with 25 items that must all be set to Yes before the Progress Status can be moved to 'E' for example. 

Is there a way to disable a choice or choices within a choice list based on variables in another field?

Or should I attempt this another way?

Is this something a Collection would be useful for to do a count of the checklist items and then trigger the disabling of the variable in the Progress Status field?

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eelman
Super User
Super User

@markikav 

If I understand you request correctly, I think the best option would be to avoid having Choices A->H as a Choice column and swap it to a Single Line of Text column. Choice columns create crazy experiences.

If you went this way you could control Choice using a collection, as you say, and it would be much easier patching the 'choice' bask to SP.

Another option would be to allow users to select the incorrect choice but not allow then to progress further in your app / the process. You could combine this with a warning message, however, this doesn't sound like the UX you are looking for?

Lastly, you could play around with using a choice column and filtering it based on Yes/No selections but this becomes more complex when you try to Patch back to SP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
markikav
Frequent Visitor

Sorry I should clarify this.

The checklist is basically 25 individual Yes/No fields, it is not a multi select list.

So once all 25 fields were set to Yes, then I would need to allow the user select Progress Status = E, otherwise Progress Status = E should not be available for selection.

Thanks!

Eelman
Super User
Super User

@markikav 

If I understand you request correctly, I think the best option would be to avoid having Choices A->H as a Choice column and swap it to a Single Line of Text column. Choice columns create crazy experiences.

If you went this way you could control Choice using a collection, as you say, and it would be much easier patching the 'choice' bask to SP.

Another option would be to allow users to select the incorrect choice but not allow then to progress further in your app / the process. You could combine this with a warning message, however, this doesn't sound like the UX you are looking for?

Lastly, you could play around with using a choice column and filtering it based on Yes/No selections but this becomes more complex when you try to Patch back to SP.

View solution in original post

markikav
Frequent Visitor

@Eelman 

Thanks for reply, I think maybe you are onto something and it would work better if I totally controlled all Status changes via activity they are doing in the app and patch back to SharePoint in a single line of text as you say.

So for this step, once all 25 items are Yes, then write Status E in the Progress field.

If some other activity depended on a date or something, then once date was entered I could write Status = F to same field subsequently. That would be nice actually!

Not sure this will work for them as they are used to this manual control of the flow by just selecting the choice as it passes through the various teams.

I'll see though, thanks again for the ideas and advice to steer away from choice menus where possible!

@markikav 

Sounds like you have a few decisions yet to be made but it sounds like you'll get there mate. All the best with it and happy to help further if needed, just tag me 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,334)