cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

End User Licensing for My New PowerApp

Hi,

I created a standalone PowerApp that points to a SharePoint list.  It triggers a flow once the user clicks a button.  The flow uses the Populated a Word Template (premium)  action, Create a file (OneDrive), Get Items (SharePoint), Send Mail (Office 365).  Our company users normally are assigned an Office 365 E3 license but we are thinking of only assigning the specific licenses needed for the users of this app (they will be accessing it from the field via iPad).  They do not use any other Office 365 applications.

If we assigned them a SharePoint license plus a Powerapps "per app" license plus Exchange online, would that be enough for them to run the app?  Does that make better sense than assigning an Office 365 E3 license plus a PowerApps license?

6 REPLIES 6
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Yes, that licensing should be sufficient.  But I suspect you will find that the combination of a SharePoint license and the Exchange license is more expensive than a regular Office 365 E3.  I would stick with the PowerApps perApp license and the Office 365 license.  Depending on what they need to do in SharePoint and Exchange you could also look at a lower level license like an F1 instead of the E3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
mdevaney
Super User III
Super User III

@Anonymous 

While and E3 license is sufficient I would suggest looking into an F1 license instead if the user just needs SharePoint + email.  Its considerably cheaper.  Under both licenses there is no additional cost per user per app so long as the app datasource is SharePoint.

Link to F1 license overview:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business/office-365-f1?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

An E1 license is also a possibiity.  But as I said that is dependent on what they need to do in SharePoint and Exchange.

@Anonymous 

I did not know @Pstork1 had already posted on this question while I was still typing but you should take his advice.  @Pstork1 is definitely one of the experts around here when it comes to licensing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The F1 license sounds ideal.  How many PowerApps would F1 users be able to run with this type of license?

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Office F1 users can run as many Power Apps as they like using standard connectors.  Premium connectors require purchase of either a perApp or standalone perUser license as you mentioned in your question.  In terms of Power Apps the main limit on F1 users is that they can consume Power Apps, but they can't make their own Power Apps.  The question is more whether the F1 license provides the features you would need for SharePoint and Exchange.  Here's a comparison page that will highlight the limitations.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compare-all-microsoft-365-plans

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (3,269)