Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Error Message for required

Hi guys!

I discovered that Power Apps already have error message below each column to show any error made by user for respective column. I have made the column "required" = true. however, when i test, (which i do not fill in some mandatory field), the error for each column did not come out. Only large notification pop up. How do I configure this? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Error Message for required

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

When you use the default for making it "required" it basically will let them submit it but give an error and won't save it. I don't like this.

What I do instead is make the star visible for that field if it is blank by making the star visible property =IsBlank(DataCardValue1)

And then for any of my required fields I make the button disabled if any of the stars are visible. Or sometimes I put a message that says "You are missing required fields" and make it visible if any of my stars are visible and then make the button disabled if the message is visible. 

Basically this will prevent them from being able to submit until all required fields are entered and helps them know which field they are missing and they have to have.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

When you use the default for making it "required" it basically will let them submit it but give an error and won't save it. I don't like this.

What I do instead is make the star visible for that field if it is blank by making the star visible property =IsBlank(DataCardValue1)

And then for any of my required fields I make the button disabled if any of the stars are visible. Or sometimes I put a message that says "You are missing required fields" and make it visible if any of my stars are visible and then make the button disabled if the message is visible. 

Basically this will prevent them from being able to submit until all required fields are entered and helps them know which field they are missing and they have to have.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thanks @rebeccas !

Can you explain a bit more about to show message if star is visible? Because if i do that the message pop up even when user did not start fill in the form yet.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@_kikilalaaa 

That is true..it will show from the start unless you add extra rules in there. I like it that way because I don't have to worry about anyone accidently submitting a blank form or anything like that.

There are a lot of different ways you can do this, just depends on what you are wanting to achieve. I have one that is a phone app that goes through one question at a time and I use this same method to make sure they can't go to Question 2 without answering Question 1 first..and so on.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,678)