cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caroline
Resolver I
Resolver I

Error connecting to Excel using Add-in

Hi there. I am getting the following message when I try to connect a CDS for Apps entity to excel:

Error Loading Metadata Details: Please check server connection, verify the current user has proper access, and try again. Error message: ''

This only happens when I am in a new environment that I created recently. If I go back to another environment (which was created before the CDS spring update), it will connect with no problems.

3 REPLIES 3
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Caroline,

I just tested with one new created database and it seems that I got the same error. If you just created the environment, you might need to wait for some time then try to connect with excel add-in.

Make sure that you have the proper permisson for this database:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/administrator/database-security

Also, notice that the Excel add-in connects to CDS using your credentials, the same permissions that would apply if you were using an app or flow, would apply here. If you don't have permissions to access an entity, you'll need to get access from your admin before using the add-in.

About open entity data in Excel, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/data-platform-excel-addin

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-monli-msftMona. Thanks for the suggestions. I tried again this morning to connect to excel, but to no avail. I'm still getting the same error message.

I 'm trying to connect to a database that I have created, so I would expect the permissions to be correct. However, I double - checked, and they are fine, as susspected, as are my log-in credentials.

After some further digging, I can see that the PowerApps Excel add-in is only finding the previous environment when I search for connections. What do I need to do to make it find the new environment as well?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,937)