Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ccant
Level: Powered On

Error references control that doesn't exist

Hi,

I have an odd issue where I have a few errors that appear to be for a control that doesn't exist.

For example, I get a "Name isn't valid. This identifier isn't recognized." for the control/property: galleryTemplate5.ItemAccessibleLabel (see PowerAppsErrorMessage.png). However, the galleryTemplate5 doesn't exist in the list of controls in my PowerApp (see PowerAppsControlSearchResults.png).  

It doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the PowerApp (unless they are hidden bugs), it just makes it difficult to keep track of the errors.

Thank you

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Error references control that doesn't exist

Hi @ccant  and @iAm_ManCat (just posted this on another thread)

This one is tricky for 2 reasons:
1. The error message references a completely different name for the gallery which you obviously cannot find by searching
2. The error message corresponds to the OnSelect proprety of the gallery for which there is no corresponding control (gallery errors that show up at the gallery level are typically for the Items property, not for properties like OnSelect.

Please see the below GIF.

1. I have a gallery which is originally called: BrowseGallery16.
2. I then rename the gallery to : UsersGallery1.
3. I have the OnSelect property of the gallery set to: Set(testVar, true (which obviously has an error).
4. The corresponding error (references the gallery as galleryTemplate32) is misleading and does not provide complete information as originally posted by @ShawnPOWER
5. This error is really difficult to find because it doesn't have a corresponding red asterisk
6. Once I change the OnSelect property of the gallery to: Set(testVar, true) the error goes away

InvisibleError.gif

Please let me know if this helps.

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution.

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia
https://thepoweraddict.com

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Ah, this looks like a program bug then, I've mentioned this to an admin who will forward this information onto the team.

When renaming a gallery, the existing OnSelect formula is kept and then shown as an error as the referenced object no longer exists, and writing a new value to the renamed gallery's OnSelect causes the error to rectify.

Thanks @PowerAddict for flagging up the bug,

Cheers,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

ccant

Ah ok, I get it now I didn't quite understand - basically the error is using the old name for the gallery and to fix it you need to guess which gallery was renamed and resolve the error. Thank you 🙂

13 REPLIES 13
Super User
Super User

Hi @ccant 

This error message detail is saying that the control/object Property this error message applies to is trying to reference galleryTemplate5.ItemAccessibleLable which no longer exists, so if you press the back arrow it actually tells you exactly which object on which screen is trying to reference that:

image.png

So you'll just need to find that object and clear that property - Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
ccant

Thanks for your quick reply @iAm_ManCat, unfortunately it is still trying to reference the galleryTemplate5 control on the Category page but that galleryTemplate5 doesn't exist which makes no sense.

PowerAppsErrorMessage(2).png

Super User
Super User

Ok, yes that is very odd!

Could you paste a screenshot of your treeview just showing the CategoryPage list of controls/objects? (without searching)

Thanks,

Sancho

Super User
Super User

Hi,

Just updating this after some testing - could you try clicking the error, not the view detail arrow, this should take you directly to the object in question:

image.png

Let me know if this allows you to view the object that is pointing incorrectly,

Thanks,

Sancho

ccant

Hi @iAm_ManCat

When I click on the error (the blue box bit as advised below), it doesn't take me anywhere... It is driving me mad (and apologies if it is starting to drive you mad too!). And as you can see in the tree view below (in the category page the control isn't there):

PowerAppTreeView.pngPowerAppTreeView(2).png

Super User
Super User

Hi @ccant  and @iAm_ManCat (just posted this on another thread)

This one is tricky for 2 reasons:
1. The error message references a completely different name for the gallery which you obviously cannot find by searching
2. The error message corresponds to the OnSelect proprety of the gallery for which there is no corresponding control (gallery errors that show up at the gallery level are typically for the Items property, not for properties like OnSelect.

Please see the below GIF.

1. I have a gallery which is originally called: BrowseGallery16.
2. I then rename the gallery to : UsersGallery1.
3. I have the OnSelect property of the gallery set to: Set(testVar, true (which obviously has an error).
4. The corresponding error (references the gallery as galleryTemplate32) is misleading and does not provide complete information as originally posted by @ShawnPOWER
5. This error is really difficult to find because it doesn't have a corresponding red asterisk
6. Once I change the OnSelect property of the gallery to: Set(testVar, true) the error goes away

InvisibleError.gif

Please let me know if this helps.

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution.

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia

Super User
Super User

Ah, this looks like a program bug then, I've mentioned this to an admin who will forward this information onto the team.

When renaming a gallery, the existing OnSelect formula is kept and then shown as an error as the referenced object no longer exists, and writing a new value to the renamed gallery's OnSelect causes the error to rectify.

Thanks @PowerAddict for flagging up the bug,

Cheers,

Sancho

Super User
Super User

@iAm_ManCat

Happy to help!

Thanks,
Hardit Bhatia
Super User
Super User

I think the solution, for now, is to check OnSelect properties of all galleries in the app.

---

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia
The Power Addict

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,895)