cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors function not recognizing SQL table as a datasource

If I type in the Errors function and look at the auto suggestions, I see my datasources.

I can click on a datasource and it auto-fills it into the Errors(...) function, but the function says it's an invalid name.

Any suggestions? Datasource is an azure hosted sql table, if that matters. Thanks

InvalidNameInErrors.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Power Apps Staff Hemanth
Power Apps Staff

Re: Errors function not recognizing datasource

It could be an issue with the way intellisense is substituting your selection. PowerApps folks have to look into that substitution issue. Can you try surrounding the datasource name with single quotes like this: Errors('[dbo].[datasourceName]')

The intellisense should have replaced the name with quotes to begin with.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @dave-jorgensen,

When using a SharePoint connection, I do not get this error in Errors function. Would you please also test with other connectors to see if the issue is related only to SQL connection?

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Mona.

I don't use any sharepoint connections. The only connections I use is to sql databases hosted on azure. I'm not sure why you would try to reproduce using a sharepoint connection, not why you would ask me to test using a sharepoint connection. I'm trying to get it to work for a sql database connection.

Can you try and replicate the problem with a sql connection and let me know if you see the same results?

Any further information on sql as a datasource for the errors function?

Power Apps Staff Hemanth
Power Apps Staff

It could be an issue with the way intellisense is substituting your selection. PowerApps folks have to look into that substitution issue. Can you try surrounding the datasource name with single quotes like this: Errors('[dbo].[datasourceName]')

The intellisense should have replaced the name with quotes to begin with.

View solution in original post

I tried adding the quotes. 

Errors function give the following error:

"the property expects text values, but this rule produces incompatible table values "

I'll add this as a bug.

Highlighted
Power Apps Staff Hemanth
Power Apps Staff

"the property expects text values, but this rule produces incompatible table values " - This is not reported by the errors function. Where ever you are using the Errors Function that particular property is expecting text values. YOu can do First(Errors('data Source')).Message

Thanks Hemanth, you're right.

earlier suggestion of adding quotes works. 

I'll mark as answer (the adding the quotes) since that was the real solution to the problem of powerapps not adding sql datasource properly from intellisense.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,976)